201 KAR 27:005. Definitions for 201 KAR Chapter 27.
RELATES TO: KRS 229.011, 229.021, 229.031, 229.051, 229.071, 229.081, 229.091, 229.111, 229.131, 229.155, 229.171(1), 229.180(1)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS , 229.180(1)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 229.171(1) authorizes the Kentucky Boxing and Wrestling Authority to provide the sole direction, management, control, and jurisdiction over all professional boxing, sparring, and wrestling matches or exhibitions to be conducted, held or given within the Commonwealth. KRS 229.180(1) authorizes the authority to promulgate administrative regulations necessary to implement KRS Chapter 229. This administrative regulation establishes the definitions used in this chapter.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Authority" is defined in KRS 229.011(2)
(2) "Battle royal" means more than two (2) contestants in a boxing, kickboxing, mixed martial arts, or elimination event competing in a "last man standing wins" format during a contest.
(3) "Bout" means a single contest or exhibition in boxing, kickboxing, mixed martial arts, and elimination events pitting two (2) opponents against one another.
(4) "Card" means a series of contests and exhibitions scheduled or occurring as part of a single program to which a single ticket authorizes admittance, and which is under the jurisdiction of the authority.
(5) "Chairperson" means the chairperson of the authority, appointed pursuant to KRS 229.151.
(6) "Contest" means an engagement in which the contestants strive earnestly in good faith to win, and in which the contestants are judged, and a winner declared.
(7) "Contestant" means any person participating in boxing, wrestling, mixed martial arts, elimination event, or kick boxing, shows coming under the jurisdiction of the authority.
(8) "Elimination event" means a boxing show where the winner of each bout continues to box against additional opponents in a tournament format until an overall winner is determined.
(9) "Executive director" means the officer appointed by the governor to oversee the operations of the authority.
(10) "Inspector" means an authority employee assigned to inspect professional shows coming under the jurisdiction of the authority.
(11) "Judge" means an official, other than referee, licensed and approved by the authority to score contests and have a vote in determining the winner of any contest.
(12) "Kickboxing" means a boxing show where the participants are allowed to throw kicking or foot blows at the opponent in addition to regular punching with the hands.
(13) "Match" means a single contest or exhibition in wrestling pitting two (2) or more opponents against one another.
(14) "Mixed martial arts" means any form of unarmed combat, including elements of boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, and other martial arts, not otherwise defined or individually regulated under 201 KAR Chapter 27, and in which participants are compensated.
(15) "Official" means any announcer, judge, physician, referee, or timekeeper.
(16) "Professional" is defined by KRS 229.011(5).
(17) "Promoter" means any individual, corporation, association, partnership or club who has been issued a license to promote and conduct professional boxing, wrestling, mixed martial arts, elimination event, or kickboxing shows within this Commonwealth and who is responsible for or who oversees the arranging, organizing, matchmaking, and booking of a show.
(18) "Second" means any person aiding, assisting or advising a contestant during a show.
(19) "Show" means any organized grouping of boxing, kickboxing, mixed martial arts, wresting, or elimination event contests or exhibitions coming under the jurisdiction of the Kentucky Boxing and Wrestling Authority.
(20) "Sparring" means practice boxing, in which a boxer receives, lands or attempts to land blows from or on another person as part of a practice or training exercise.
(21) "Trainer" means any person who participates in the training of any contestant, provided that the training occurs within this Commonwealth.
(22) "Wrestling event staff" means anyone other than a wrestler or referee permitted to be inside the six (6) foot barrier around the ring during a wrestling event. (5 Ky.R. 1102; eff. 11-7-79; Am. 20 Ky.R. 1038; eff. 1-10-94; 26 Ky.R. 2000; 27 Ky.R. 476; eff. 8-14-2000; 32 Ky.R. 1746; 2247; eff. 7-7-06.)