201 KAR 26:180. Requirements for granting licensure as a psychologist by reciprocity.
RELATES TO: KRS 319.032(1)(i)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 319.032(1)(i)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 319.032(1)(i) requires the board to promulgate an administrative regulation governing the granting of a license through reciprocity. This administrative regulation establishes the requirements for licensure as a psychologist by reciprocity.
Section 1. The board shall issue a license to an applicant who qualifies for a license as a psychologist pursuant to an agreement of reciprocity entered into by the board of this jurisdiction with the board or boards of any other jurisdiction or multiple jurisdictions.
Section 2. The applicant for licensure as a psychologist by reciprocity shall:
(1) Submit a completed Application for Licensure as a Psychologist by Reciprocity;
(2) Hold a current valid license in good standing to practice psychology that has been granted by at least one (1) state or the District of Columbia or a Canadian province that maintains a psychology registration board:
(a) That is a constituent member of the Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards (ASPPB); and
(b) With whom this board has an agreement of reciprocity;
(3) Have a minimum of five (5) years of full-time practice or its equivalent as determined by the board in the other jurisdiction; and
(4) Has not been disciplined by any licensure board.
Section 3. The board shall conduct an examination on psychological practice of an applicant for licensure by reciprocity. The applicant shall demonstrate an acceptable level of knowledge of Kentucky mental health law. An applicant shall score at least an eighty (80) percent to pass the structured examination of Kentucky mental health law. An applicant shall score a 100 percent to pass the oral examination on ethical principles and professional practice.
Section 4. An applicant for licensure with the health service provider designation shall comply with KRS 319.050(7).
Section 5. If an applicant for licensure with the health service provider designation does not have an additional 1,800 hours of supervised experience as required by KRS 319.050 and 201 KAR 26:125, the board may determine that the applicant's practice experience is equivalent to the required year of experience. The board may substitute an applicant’s employment experience for the additional 1,800 hours of supervised experience as required by KRS 319.050 and 201 KAR 26:125, and may award the applicant the Health Service Provider designation.
Section 6. A person holding the Certificate of Professional Qualification in Psychology (CPQ) issued by the ASPPB or a successor organization or a person who holds a certificate from the National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology or a successor organization and has a minimum equivalent of five (5) years of full-time practice at the independent level and has had no disciplinary action taken by a licensure board or on record in the ASPPB database shall:
(1) Be deemed to meet the qualifications for licensure by reciprocity as established in this administrative regulation; and
(2) Upon meeting the requirements established in Section 3 of this administrative regulation, shall be granted a license with the health service provider designation.
Section 7. An applicant for licensure as a psychologist by reciprocity may request permission to practice psychology at the doctoral level on a temporary basis pursuant to KRS 319.050(3). The request for a temporary credential shall be issued in accordance with 201 KAR 26:155, Section 2. The temporary credential shall expire in accordance with 201 KAR 26:155, Section 2(5).
Section 8. Incorporation by Reference. (1) "Application for Licensure as a Psychologist by Reciprocity", February 2017, is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Kentucky Board of Examiners of Psychology, 911 Leawood Drive, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (13 Ky.R. 2166; eff. 7-2-1987; Am. 20 Ky.R. 587; eff. 10-21-1993; 24 Ky.R. 1129; 1666; eff. 2-17-1998; 25 Ky.R. 407; 823; eff. 9-16-1998; 28 Ky.R. 1474; 1813; eff. 2-7-2002; 31 Ky.R. 1009; eff. 3-8-2005; 37 Ky.R. 1527; 1982; eff. 3-4-2011; 43 Ky.R. 1826, 2158; 44 Ky.R. 31; eff. 7-17-2017.)