201 KAR 23:120. Equivalency standard.


      RELATES TO: KRS 335.090

      STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS Chapter 13A, 335.070

      NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: This administrative regulation clarifies what the board will consider as equivalent education to that of a baccalaureate degree in social work or a social welfare program.


      Section 1. In determining equivalency, the board will compare any program to that of a master's or bachelor's degree from a CSWE (council of social work educators) accredited school. In determining equivalency, the board will require that the educational content of a program shall include:

      (1) Human behavior and the social environment;

      (2) Social welfare policy and service;

      (3) Research;

      (4) Social work practice; and

      (5) Educational practicum.


      Section 2. (1) In human behavior and the social environment emphasis should be placed on the psychosocial situation. Six (6) hours of such courses should be at the upper division, or three (3) hours if such is built on a base of psychological and sociological courses.

      (2) Social welfare policy and service courses shall include at least three (3) hours at the upper division social work or social welfare courses, built on courses in political science and economics. In the absence of political science and economics, there shall be at least six (6) hours in the social welfare policies and services area.

      (3) Research courses shall be one three (3) hour social research course based on some kind of basic research.

      (4) Social work practicum shall include six (6) hours of social work practice courses taught by an individual with an advanced degree in social work. In the absence of classes in lower division social work methods, three (3) additional hours shall be required in a lower division course, totaling nine (9) hours.

      (5) Practicum shall be taught by an individual with an advanced degree in social work for at least 450 hours. Two (2) hours per week of supervision shall be required by an individual with an advanced degree in social work. (11 Ky.R. 1710; eff. 6-4-85; Am. 12 Ky.R. 1157; eff. 1-4-86.)