201 KAR 23:070. Qualifying education and qualifying experience under supervision.
RELATES TO: KRS 335.010, 335.080(1)(c), (3), 335.100(1)(a), (b), (3)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 335.070(3), 335.080(1)(c), (3), 335.100(1)(a), (b), (3)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 335.080(1)(c) and 335.100(1)(a) require an applicant for a certified social worker license or a licensed clinical social worker license to have a master's degree or a doctoral degree in social work from an educational institution approved by the board. KRS 335.080(3) allows a certified social worker to engage in the practice of clinical social work under the supervision of a licensed clinical social worker as directed by the board by promulgation of an administrative regulation. KRS 335.100(1)(b) requires an applicant for a licensed clinical social worker license to have acquired post-master's experience under appropriate supervision as established by the board by promulgation of an administrative regulation. KRS 335.100(3) requires a licensed clinical social worker to assume responsibility for and supervise the certified social worker's practice of clinical social work as directed by the board by promulgation of an administrative regulation. This administrative regulation establishes the educational institutions approved by the board, the definitions relating to supervision, the content of a Contract for Clinical Social Work Supervision, and the requirements for experience under supervision.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Educational institution approved by the board" means a graduate school of social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
(2) "Practice of clinical social work" means the practice of social work that focuses on the evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of an emotional disorder or mental illness as related to the total health of the individual and that meets the requirements of Section 2 of this administrative regulation.
(3) "Supervision" means the educational process of utilizing a partnership between a supervisor and a supervisee aimed at enhancing the professional development of the supervisee in providing clinical social work services.
(4) "Supervisor of record" means the supervisor who assumes responsibility for the practice of a certified social worker pursuant to KRS 335.080(3) and 335.100(3).
Section 2. Practice of Clinical Social Work. (1) The practice of clinical social work shall be based on knowledge of psychodynamics, human relations, crisis intervention, psychopathology, and group dynamics.
(2) A practitioner of clinical social work shall:
(a) Possess skills necessary for:
1. Individual, marital, family, and group psychotherapy; and
2. Other recognized treatment modalities; and
(b) Establish a therapeutic relationship with his client that:
1. Leads to correction of the dysfunction;
a. Diagnosis using professionally recognized clinical nomenclature;
b. Treatment planning that includes development, implementation, and modification of the plan;
c. Evaluation of progress; and
d. Termination of the treatment process; and
3. Is characterized by face-to-face contact with the client throughout the treatment process.
Section 3. Supervision. (1) A supervisor shall be a licensed clinical social worker who:
(a) Provides supervision to a certified social worker pursuant to KRS 335.080(3) and 335.100(3);
(b) Does not have:
1. An unresolved citation filed against him by the board;
2. A suspended or probated license; or
3. A previous or existing personal relationship with a supervisee; and
1. Been in the practice of clinical social work for three (3) years following licensure as a licensed clinical social worker; and
2. Completed a board-approved three (3) hour training course on supervisory practices and methods for licensed clinical social workers relating to the requirements in KRS Chapter 335 and this administrative regulation.
(2) Supervisory experience obtained in Kentucky with a supervisor who has not completed the course required by (1)(c)2 of this section shall not be approved by the board.
(3) The supervisory training course shall be completed every licensure period to maintain supervisory status with the board.
(4) A licensed clinical social worker shall not serve as a supervisor of record for more than six (6) certified social workers with whom he has a contract to be held accountable to the board at the same time.
(5) An applicant receiving supervision outside of Kentucky shall demonstrate that his or her supervisor has been in the practice of clinical social work for a period of three (3) years following licensure as a clinical social worker or its equivalent effective at the time of the supervision.
(6) To be recognized as a supervisor, a licensed clinical social worker who meets the requirements of this section shall submit a written request to become a supervisor in Kentucky along with a copy of the supervisory training certificate.
Section 4. Contract for Clinical Social Work Supervision. The Contract for Clinical Social Work Supervision required by KRS 335.080(3) and 335.100(3) shall contain:
(1) The name and license number of the supervisee;
(2) The name and license number of the supervisor of record;
(3) The name and license number of other supervisors;
(4) The agency, institution, or organization where the experience will be received;
(5) A detailed description of the nature of the practice including the type of:
(a) Clients which will be seen;
(b) Therapies and treatment modalities which will be used including the prospective length of treatment; and
(c) Problems which will be treated;
(6) The nature, duration, and frequency of the supervision, including the:
(a) Number of hours of supervision per week;
(b) Amount of group and individual supervision; and
(c) Methodology for transmission of case information;
(7) The conditions or procedures for termination of the supervision;
(8) A statement that:
(a) The supervisor of record understands that he shall be held accountable to the board for the care given to the supervisee's clients;
(b) The certified social worker is an employee of an agency, institution, or organization, and has Social Security and income tax deducted from his salary; and
(c) The supervisor of record and other supervisors meet the criteria established in Section 3(1) through (4) of this administrative regulation;
(9) An individualized job description that:
(a) Describes in detail how the requirements of Sections 6 and 7 of this administrative regulation will be met; and
(b) Is on office or agency letterhead and is signed by the executive director, the agency director, or the individual who heads the office; and
(10) A copy of each supervisor's supervisory training certificate attached to the contract for clinical social work supervision.
Section 5. Notice to Client. If an employee is practicing under the supervision of a licensed clinical social worker, the employee shall notify in writing each client during the period of the supervision. The notification shall contain:
(1) The name, office address, telephone number, and license number of the supervisor of record; and
(2) A statement that the employee is licensed by the board.
Section 6. Experience Under Supervision. Experience under supervision shall consist of:
(1) At least sixty (60) percent of the required experience in a direct client-professional relationship;
(2) Direct responsibility for a specific individual or group of clients; and
(3) Broad exposure and opportunity for skill development with a variety of dysfunctions, diagnoses, acuity levels, and population groups.
Section 7. Supervision Requirements. (1) Supervision shall relate specifically to the qualifying experience and shall focus on:
(a) The accurate diagnosis of a client problem leading to proficiency in applying professionally recognized clinical nomenclature;
(b) The development and modification of the treatment plan;
(c) The development of treatment skills suitable to each phase of the therapeutic process;
(d) Ethical problems in the practice of clinical social work; and
(e) The development and use of the professional self in the therapeutic process.
(2)(a) Supervision shall total a minimum of 200 hours, which shall include individual supervision of not less than two (2) hours during every two (2) weeks of clinical social work practice;
(b) A supervisee shall not obtain more than 100 hours of the required supervision by group supervision; and
(c) Group supervision shall not be permitted in groups of more than six (6) supervisees.
(3) Documentation that establishes that an individual has been licensed in another jurisdiction at the clinical level and has been engaged in the active practice of clinical social work in that jurisdiction for five (5) years immediately preceding the filing of an application with the board meets the requirement for supervision set forth in this administrative regulation.
Section 8. Evaluation by Board. (1) The period of supervised experience required by KRS 335.100(1)(b) shall be evaluated by the board according to one (1) of the following methods:
(a) Postexperience evaluation. A candidate whose experience was obtained while employed at an agency exempted under KRS 335.010(3), (4) or (5) or while licensed in another state shall submit his application along with appropriate documentation of supervision upon completion of the experience.
(b) Transitional evaluation. A candidate who has accumulated an amount less than the full amount of qualifying experience while employed at an agency exempted under KRS 335.010 (3), (4) or (5) or while licensed in another state, and who is seeking to obtain the remainder of his experience in nonexempt employment, shall submit his application along with appropriate documentation of supervision completed to the date of his application. He shall also submit with his application a contract under paragraph (c) of this subsection for the remainder of the experience.
(c) Preapproved evaluation. Candidates not otherwise exempted under KRS 335.010(3), (4) or (5) shall submit a contract for the experience which will be taking place over the required time period and have the contract approved by the board prior to beginning supervision. This contract shall be evaluated by the board and shall be approved or disapproved within ninety (90) days of its submission.
(2) A certified social worker who desires to practice clinical social work that does not qualify as supervised experience pursuant to KRS 335.100(1)(b), shall submit a contract pursuant to KRS 335.080(3). This contract shall be evaluated by the board and shall be approved or disapproved within ninety (90) days of its submission.
Section 9. (1) Changes to that portion of the Contract for Clinical Social Work Supervision describes the nature of the practice and experience that the supervisee is to obtain as required by Section 4(5) of this administrative regulation shall be submitted to the board for approval.
(2) If the supervisee changes his supervisor of record, a new Contract for Clinical Social Work Supervision shall be submitted to the board for approval.
(3) A supervisee shall notify the board by letter of changes of supervisors who are not the supervisor of record, but who are identified in the Contract for Clinical Social Work Supervision pursuant to Section 4(3) of this administrative regulation, and attach a copy of the supervisor's supervisory training certificate.
Section 10. Incorporation by Reference. (1) "Contract for Clinical Social Work Supervision," 10/2010, is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Kentucky Board of Social Work, 911 Leawood Drive, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (3 Ky.R. 264; eff. 11-3-76; Am. 8 Ky.R. 155; eff. 12-2-81; 10 Ky.R. 342; eff. 10-5-83; 1005; eff. 3-31-84; 14 Ky.R. 168; eff. 8-5-87; 18 Ky.R. 733; 1838; eff. 11-22-91; 21 Ky.R. 485; eff. 10-19-94; 23 Ky.R. 4203; 24 Ky.R. 861; eff. 10-13-97; 27 Ky.R. 196; 740; eff. 9-11-2000; 34 Ky.R. 2424; 35 Ky.R. 782; eff. 10-15-08; 37 Ky.R. 1332; 1972; eff. 3-4-2011.)