RELATES TO: KRS 327.050, 327.060
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 327.040(1), (11), 327.060(3)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 327.040(11) authorizes the board to promulgate and enforce reasonable administrative regulations for the effectuation of the purposes of KRS Chapter 327. KRS 327.060(3) authorizes the board to approve services to provide an evaluation of a foreign-educated physical therapist applicant's educational credentials. This administrative regulation establishes the requirements a foreign-educated physical therapist shall satisfy to become credentialed in the state of Kentucky.
Section 1. A foreign-educated physical therapist applicant shall be credentialed if the applicant:
(1) Complies with the requirements of KRS 327.060(1)(b); and
(2) In accordance with KRS 327.060(1)(b), meets the following requirements:
(a) Furnishes the board a favorable educational credentials evaluation report from a credentialing agency that uses the appropriate edition of the "Coursework Evaluation Tool" (CWT) copyrighted by Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT). An academic deficiency in general education coursework identified by the CWT shall be satisfied by the applicant through submission of evidence identifying one (1) of the following:
1. Completion of appropriate coursework at a regionally accredited academic institution;
2. Continuing education in a course approved by the board; or
3. Submission of a portfolio including a detailed resume and description of relevant work experience approved by the board;
(b) Shows proof of English Language Proficiency:
1. A score of not less than fifty (50) on the Test of Spoken English (TSE);
2. Verification that the applicant has achieved the following minimum scores for each category of the Test of English as a Foreign Language, TOEFLE Internet-based test (TOEFL iBT): Writing, twenty-four (24), Speaking, twenty-six (26), Listening, eighteen (18), Reading, twenty-one (21); with an overall score of not less than eighty-nine (89); or
3. Verification that English is the native language of the country of origin;
(c) Submits a satisfactorily-completed application and appropriate fee as required by 201 KAR 22:135;
(d) Completes the HIV/AIDS education requirement as specified in KRS 327.050;
(e) Completes the Jurisprudence Exam;
(f) Obtains a passing score on the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE). The requirements of 201 KAR 22:020, Section 2(3) and (4) shall be applicable to examination candidates; and
(g) Has successfully completed a minimum of three (3) months and no more than six (6) months of practice under the on-site supervision of a physical therapist credentialed under KRS Chapter 327 at a Kentucky facility previously approved by the board which satisfies the following requirements:
1. The supervised practice shall be a minimum of 390 hours in a 3 month period, in a facility which is serving as a clinical education site for students enrolled in a program in physical therapist education accredited by the Commission for Accreditation of Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE);
2. The applicant shall work only with on-site supervision until a minimum score of three and five-tenths (3.5) with no ones (1.0) or twos (2.0) on a four (4.0) point scale has been achieved utilizing the Evaluation Form to Assess Physical Therapy Skills of Foreign Educated Applicant for Credentialing. The clinical supervisor shall submit the evaluation to the board after three (3) months practice, and if required, after the sixth month, when the required score denoting clinical competency shall have been reached;
3. The supervising physical therapist shall, within the three (3) years prior to serving as a supervisor, have previously acted as clinical supervisor for a physical therapist student as part of a CAPTE accredited program; and
4. The supervisor shall countersign all of the candidate’s physical therapy records within fourteen (14) days.
Section 2. Temporary Permits for Foreign-educated Physical Therapist Applicants. (1) An applicant who has not satisfactorily completed three (3) months of supervised practice as a physical therapist shall be issued a temporary permit to complete Section 1(2)(g) of this administrative regulation if the applicant has:
(a) Completed the requirements of Section 1(2)(a) through (f) of this administrative regulation; and
(b) Submitted an approved "Supervisory Agreement for Physical Therapists Educated in a Foreign Country".
(2) The temporary permit shall be revoked if the applicant has not satisfactorily completed the supervised practice within a six (6) month period.
Section 3. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
(a) Evaluation Form to Assess Physical Therapy Skills of Foreign Educated Applicant for Credentialing, 9/2/04"; and
(b) "Supervisory Agreement for Physical Therapists Educated in a Foreign Country, 10/12/00".
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Board of Physical Therapy, 312 Whittington Parkway, Suite 102, Louisville, Kentucky 40222, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (2 Ky.R. 79; eff. 9-10-75; Am. 7 Ky.R. 310; 443; eff. 11-6-80; 11 Ky.R. 419; eff. 10-9-84; 12 Ky.R. 1353; eff. 3-4-86; 13 Ky.R. 1710; eff. 5-14-87; 18 Ky.R. 336; eff. 9-24-91; 19 Ky.R. 450; 868; eff. 10-8-92; 22 Ky.R. 615; 1975; eff. 11-15-95; 27 Ky.R. 1324; 1768; eff. 1-15-2001; 28 Ky.R. 1450; 1796; eff. 2-7-02; 31 Ky.R. 814; 1068; eff. 1-4-05; 1438; eff. 4-22-05; 33 Ky.R. 1431; 2274; eff. 3-1-07; TAm eff. 2-5-2008; 35 Ky.R. 2127; eff. 6-5-09; 37 Ky.R. 779; Am. 1419; eff. 12-15-2010; 38 Ky.R. 1365; 1551; eff. 3-21-2012; TAm eff. 12-6-2012.)