201 KAR 22:020. Eligibility and credentialing procedure.
RELATES TO: KRS 164.772, 327.010, 327.050, 327.060, 327.075, 327.080
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 327.040(1), (11), (13)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 327.040(11) authorizes the Board of Physical Therapy to promulgate and enforce reasonable administrative regulations for the effectuation of the purposes of KRS Chapter 327. KRS 327.040(1) requires the board to determine if physical therapist applicants meet the qualifications and standards required by KRS Chapter 327. KRS 327.040(13) authorizes the board to promulgate administrative regulations regarding the qualifications for physical therapist assistants. This administrative regulation establishes the criteria for eligibility, methods, and procedures of qualifying for a credential to practice physical therapy in Kentucky.
Section 1. An application shall be accepted for credentialing as a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant based on successful completion by the applicant of one (1) of the following processes:
(2) Endorsement; or
Section 2. Examination Candidate. (1) To be eligible for the examination, the applicant for licensure as a physical therapist shall:
(a) Have successfully completed the academic and clinical requirements of a physical therapy program accredited by CAPTE;
(b) Submit certification of completion by the educational administrator of that program;
(c) Have successfully completed the Jurisprudence Exam;
(d) Submit a complete Application for Credentialing that includes a photo taken within one (1) year;
(e) Submit the correct, nonrefundable fee as required in 201 KAR 22:135;
(f) If applicable, submit on an Applicant Special Accommodations Request Form a request for a reasonable accommodation in testing due to a documented disability; and
(g) Register for the NPTE examination.
(2) To be eligible for the examination, the applicant for certification as a physical therapist assistant shall:
(a) Have successfully completed the academic and clinical requirements of a physical therapy or physical therapist assistant program accredited by CAPTE; and
(b) Complete the requirements of subsection (1)(b) through (g) of this section.
(3) Effective July 1, 2012, after six (6) failed attempts at either the physical therapist or physical therapist assistant examination, or combination thereof, in any jurisdiction, an applicant shall not be eligible to register for any additional examinations
Section 3. An applicant for credentialing who is registered for the examination in another jurisdiction shall:
(1) Meet the eligibility requirements of Section 2 of this administrative regulation; and
(2) Register with the FSBPT Score Transfer Service to have results submitted to Kentucky.
Section 4. To be eligible for a temporary permit, the candidate shall:
(1) Meet the qualifications of Section 2 or 3 of this administrative regulation, except for the retake provisions in Section 2(3) of this administrative regulation;
(2) Complete a Supervisory Agreement for Applicant with Temporary Permit with one (1) or more physical therapists; and
(3) Have not failed either the physical therapist or physical therapist assistant examination in any jurisdiction.
Section 5. (1) Upon issuance of a temporary permit, the physical therapist or physical therapist assistant applicant shall practice only under the supervision of a physical therapist currently engaged in the practice of physical therapy in Kentucky who:
(a) Has practiced in Kentucky for more than one (1) year; and
(b) Has an unrestricted license.
(2) A supervising physical therapist:
(a) Shall be on-site at all times during the practice of the applicant with a temporary permit;
(b) Shall be responsible for the practice of physical therapy by the applicant with a temporary permit;
(c) Shall review, approve, date, and co-sign all physical therapy documentation by the applicant with a temporary permit;
(d) May designate an alternate supervising physical therapist who meets the qualifications of subsection (1)(a) and (b) of this section. The alternate supervising physical therapist shall sign and date written documentation of the acceptance of the responsibility as identified in paragraph (a) through (c) of this subsection; and
(e) Shall notify the board immediately if the supervisory relationship is terminated.
(3) The applicant with a temporary permit shall:
(a) Disclose the applicant’s temporary credential status to all patients prior to initiating treatment;
(b) Sign documentation with the temporary permit number and designation as required in 201 KAR 22:053, Section 5(5)(a) or (b); and
(c) Notify the board immediately if the supervisory relationship is terminated.
(4) The temporary permit shall expire the earlier of:
(a) Six (6) months from the date of issuance; or
(b) Notice of exam results by the board.
Section 6. A physical therapist applicant who meets the qualifications for physical therapy licensure by examination may become a special candidate for physical therapist assistant certification by examination.
Section 7. To be eligible for credentialing by endorsement, the applicant shall:
(1) Have successfully completed the academic and clinical requirements of a physical therapy or physical therapist assistant program accredited by CAPTE;
(2) Meet the requirements established in Section 2(1)(b) through (f) of this administrative regulation;
(3) Have successfully completed the NPTE or its equivalent, predecessor examination and register with the FSBPT Score Transfer Service to have results submitted to Kentucky:
(a) A passing score in Kentucky for the person who took the NPTE prior to July 1, 1993, shall be at least equal to the national average raw score minus one and five-tenths (1.5) standard deviation set equal to a converted score of seventy-five (75); or
(b) After July 1, 1993, a passing score shall be the criterion referenced passing point recommended by the FSBPT set equal to a scaled score of 600;
(4) Have an active credential in this profession in another jurisdiction; and
(5) Have verification of credentials showing the credential has never been revoked, suspended, placed on probation, or is not under disciplinary review in another jurisdiction upon application.
Section 8. To be eligible for reinstatement, the applicant shall meet the requirements in 201 KAR 22:040.
Section 9. A credential issued by the board shall be in effect until March 31 of the next odd-numbered year.
Section 10. A foreign-educated physical therapist shall comply with the provisions of 201 KAR 22:070
Section 11. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
(a) "Application for Credentialing", December 2011;
(b) "Supervisory Agreement for Applicant with Temporary Permit ", January 2017; and
(c) "Applicant Special Accommodations Request Form", December 2012.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Board of Physical Therapy, 312 Whittington Parkway Suite 102, Louisville, Kentucky 40222, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (PTB-Rg-1-1; 2 Ky.R. 77; eff. 9-10-1975; Am. 5 Ky.R. 809; eff. 6-6-79; 7 Ky.R. 310; 442; eff. 11-6-1980; 825; eff. 6-3-1981; 11 Ky.R. 735; eff. 12-11-1984; 18 Ky.R. 334; eff. 9-24-1991; 27 Ky.R. 2224; 2726; eff. 4-9-2001; 28 Ky.R. 1448; 1795; eff. 2-7-2002; 31 Ky.R. 995; 1236; eff. 1-19-2005; 33 Ky.R. 3436; eff. 8-16-2007; 34 Ky.R. 1795; eff. 3-19-2008; TAm eff. 3-19-2008; 35 Ky.R. 1856; 2213; eff. 5-1-2009; 37 Ky.R. 775; eff. 11-17-2010; 38 Ky.R. 657; 896; eff. 11-16-2011; 38 Ky.R. 1363; 1550; eff. 3-21-2012; 39 Ky.R. 1930; 2161; eff. 5-31-2013; 40 Ky.R. 2199; 2421; eff. 6-6-2014; 42 Ky.R. 1283; 1710; eff. 12-16-2015; 43 Ky.R. 1237, 1528; eff. 3-31-2017.)