201 KAR 19:340. Continuing education.
RELATES TO: KRS 323.400-323.416
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 323.210(2)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 323.416(1) requires certificate holders to meet continuing education requirements in order to renew certification. KRS 323.416(2) mandates certain topics to be covered. This administrative regulation establishes the requirements for continuing education.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Elective topic" means a topic that is related to interior design.
(2) "Professional development unit" or "PDU" means a:
(a) Unit equal to fifty (50) minutes clock time for classroom education; or
(b) Customary time of completion prescribed by a vendor, if the board finds the time to be reasonable.
(3) "Relevant topic" means an area focused on the health, safety, and welfare of the public.
(4) "Self-directed activity" means:
(a) An unstructured self-study visit to an interior design significant site;
(b) A service to the public which uses the certified interior designer’s expertise as an interior designer; or
(c) A business practice course related to new technology relevant to interior design, and, offered by a person qualified by education or experience.
(5) "Structured activity" means a relevant:
(a) College or university sponsored course;
(d) Short course; or
(e) Professional or technical organization sponsored:
3. Self-study course; or
Section 2. Exemptions. An interior designer certified in Kentucky shall, in order to obtain annual certification renewal:
(1) Comply with this administrative regulation unless exempt because he or she is:
(a) A first-time certificate holder by examination or reciprocity;
(b) A civilian who serves on active duty in the United States Armed Forces for a period of time exceeding ninety (90) consecutive days during the annual report period;
(c) Certified from another jurisdiction that has a required continuing education program, if that jurisdiction accepts Kentucky requirements to satisfy its continuing education requirements and the certificate holder certifies that all requirements for current continuing education compliance and certification have been met in that jurisdiction;
(d) Is also a licensed architect who has met the requirements of 201 KAR 19:087; or
(e) Is on inactive status.
(2) A hardship case may be considered by the board.
Section 3. Requirements. (1) A certified Kentucky interior designer shall:
(a) Obtain a total of twelve (12) PDU's per year, as required by KRS 323.416(1); and
(b) Report the PDU credits as a condition for certification renewal.
(2) The twelve (12) hours of continuing education shall be satisfied during the period beginning October 1 and ending September 30 of the following year.
(3) At least eight (8) PDU's shall consist of structured activities, addressing the following relevant topics:
(a) Codes, statutes, and administrative regulations related to the built environment;
(b) Environmental issues;
(c) Professional and ethical business practices;
(d) State certification law;
(e) Design proficiency;
(f) New technology, including construction:
3. Systems; or
(g) Interface, other than normal day-to-day contact, with a member of another design discipline, including an:
4. Financier; or
(h) Legal aspects, including:
1. Contract documents;
3. Bonds; and
4. Project administration.
(i) Specialization in:
2. Adaptive reuse; or
3. A building type.
(j) Study or consultation opportunity.
(4) A maximum of four (4) PDU's may consist of self-directed activities, addressing the following elective topics:
(a) Business or practice efficiency;
(b) Business development;
(c) Personal skills;
(d) New skills; or
(e) General education.
Section 4. Reporting and Recordkeeping. (1) A certificate holder seeking certificate renewal shall submit to the board:
(a) A Certification Renewal Application Form, including a list of PDUs completed; and
(b) The renewal fee.
(2) An incomplete submission shall be returned to the certificate holder.
(3) The board shall review a random sample of annual reports, composed of up to ten (10) percent of the number of issued certificates, to ensure accuracy and compliance.
(4) The certificate holder shall:
(a) Retain proof of participation in continuing education activities;
(b) Retain a record for continuing education for a period of two (2) years from the date of submission of the annual report to the board; and
(c) Furnish copies or continuing education records on the request of the board for audit purposes.
(5) Proof of participation in continuing education activities shall include:
(a) A log showing the:
1. Activity claimed;
2. Sponsoring organization;
4. Duration; and
5. Date of activity;
(b) An attendance certificate;
(c) A signed attendance receipt;
(d) A paid receipt;
(e) A list of attendees signed by a person in charge of the activity; or
(f) Similar documentation.
(6) If continuing education credit is disallowed, the certificate holder shall have 180 calendar days after notification to:
(a) Substantiate the original claim; or
(b) Earn other continuing education credit to meet the minimum requirements.
Section 5. Noncompliance and Sanctions. Failure to fulfill the continuing education requirements or file the required annual report, properly completed and signed, shall result in nonrenewal of the interior designers certification.
Section 6. Incorporation by Reference. (1) "Certification Renewal Application Form, 2003" is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the offices of the Kentucky Board of Architects, 155 East Main Street, Suite 300, Lexington, Kentucky 40507, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (29 Ky.R. 2395; Am. 2660; eff. 5-15-03; TAm 11-20-2012.)