201 KAR 19:320. Limited period of certification by prior experience.
RELATES TO: KRS 323.400, 323.410
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 323.210(2), 323.406(1), (3)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 323.410(3) provides that for a period of two (2) years after July 15, 2002, the board may issue a certificate as a certified interior designer to persons who meet the alternative criteria identified in that statutory provision. This administrative regulation establishes the experience and education criteria for qualifying under KRS 323.410(3).
Section 1. (1) An applicant who seeks to qualify under the alternative criteria of KRS 323.410(3) shall meet the statutory requirements of KRS 323.410.
(2) The board shall evaluate experience as follows:
(a) 1600 hours of full-time employment equals one (1) year of experience.
(b) A minimum of thirty-five (35) hours per week is considered full-time employment.
(c) Experience shall be demonstrated in at least five (5) of the following nine (9) categories:
1. Analysis of a client’s needs, goals, and life safety requirements for the interior space of a structure;
2. Integration of findings with knowledge of interior design;
3. Formulation of preliminary design concepts that are appropriate, functional, and aesthetic;
4. Development and presentation of final design recommendations through presentation media;
5. Preparation of working drawings and specifications for nonload bearing interior construction, materials, finishes, space planning, furnishings, fixtures, and equipment;
6. Collaboration with professional services of other licensed practitioners in the technical areas of mechanical, electrical, and load-bearing design required for regulatory approval;
7. Preparation and administration of bids and contract documents as the client’s agent;
8. Review and evaluation of design solutions during implementation and upon completion; and
9. Teaching full time in an interior design program accredited by the U.S. Department of Education.
(3) One (1) year of interior design education shall be documented by the successful completion of a minimum of either:
(a) Twenty (20) semester hours of interior design related coursework; or
(b) Thirty (30) quarter credits of interior design related coursework. (29 Ky.R. 2391; Am. 2659; eff. 5-15-03.)