201 KAR 19:035. Qualifications for examination and licensure.
RELATES TO: KRS 323.050(2), (3), 323.060, 323.120(1)(a)-(i)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 323.210(1)(b), (2)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 323.050(2) allows the board to prescribe the experience requirements for licensure. KRS 323.210(1)(b) and (2) require the board to promulgate administrative regulations governing the contents and conduct of examinations, the method and time for filing applications, and the time within which an applicant shall be examined after his application has been filed. This administrative regulation establishes the prerequisites for taking the examination and obtaining a license.
Section 1. Eligibility to Take the State Board Examination. A person who possesses the qualifications prescribed in KRS 323.050, and this administrative regulation, shall be eligible to take the examination.
Section 2. General Requirements. (1)(a) The board shall verify the good moral character of an applicant for examination with employers and registered architects who have knowledge of his moral character.
(b) An applicant shall not be considered to be of good moral character if he has:
1. Committed an act specified in KRS 323.120(1)(a) through (i);
2. Chronic alcoholism, persistent drug abuse, or an act of behavior that would, if the applicant were licensed, jeopardize or impair his judgment to meet professional responsibility as an architect to the public welfare and safety; or
3. Violated a provision of KRS Chapter 323 or a board administrative regulation either before or after admission to the examination.
(c) If an applicant has violated the registration laws of another jurisdiction, the board shall determine whether the violation adversely affected the moral character of the applicant.
(2) To be eligible for examination, an applicant shall submit to the board college transcripts and verification from employers and architects that the applicant has:
(a) Met the requirements of KRS 323.050 and 323.060 and this administrative regulation; and
(b) Had well diversified and satisfactory training in architectural practice as evidenced by completion of the first year of the Intern Development Program specified in Section 4 of this administrative regulation.
(3) The documentation required by subsection (2) of this section shall be verified, compiled, and transmitted in bound record form by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards.
Section 3. Education Requirements. (1) An applicant who has met the requirements of Section 2 of this administrative regulation shall hold a degree in architecture from a degree program that has been accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board not later than two (2) years after termination of enrollment.
Section 4. Training Requirements for Licensure. (1) An applicant who has passed the examination shall have satisfied the Intern Development Program training requirements as provided by Chapter 1, Section 3 of the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards "Handbook for Interns and Architects" prior to final application for licensure.
(2) The documentation required by subsection (1) of this section shall be verified, compiled, and transmitted in bound record form by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards.
Section 5. Incorporation by Reference. (1) "Handbook for Interns and Architects", 2008-2009 Edition, National Council of Architectural Registration Board, is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Kentucky Board of Architects, 155 East Main Street, Suite 300, Lexington, Kentucky 40507, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (BERA:E-3; 1 Ky.R. 1243; Am. 2 Ky.R. 256; eff. 11-12-75; 7 Ky.R. 913; eff. 9-2-81; 9 Ky.R. 491; 675; eff. 11-3-82; 11 Ky.R. 1273; eff. 4-9-85; 13 Ky.R. 1868; eff. 6-9-87; 17 Ky.R. 1781; 2178; eff. 12-14-90; 20 Ky.R. 2881; eff. 6-2-94; 22 Ky.R. 1668; 1993; eff. 5-16-96; 23 Ky.R. 3394; 3749; eff. 5-19-97; 31 Ky.R. 1533; 1785; eff. 5-26-05; 35 Ky.R. 1836; 2409; eff. 6-5-2009; TAm 11-20-2012.)