201 KAR 16:050. Continuing education.
RELATES TO: KRS 321.211(7), 321.221, 321.235(6), 321.441(2)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 321.211(7), 321.235(1), (3), (5), (6), (7), 321.441(2)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 321.211(7) authorizes the board to require a person applying for renewal or reinstatement to show evidence of completion of continuing education. This administrative regulation establishes the requirements for continuing education hours relating to the practice of veterinary medicine.
Section 1. (1)(a) A veterinarian shall complete biennially thirty (30) hours of continuing education to be eligible for renewal of his or her license. A veterinarian may complete the thirty (30) hours of continuing education required for renewal by the completion of audio or video recordings or electronic, computer, or interactive material prepared or approved by any of the organizations established in Section 2(1) and (2) of this administrative regulation.
(b) Of the required hours:
1. At least twenty (20) hours shall be directly related to the practice of veterinary medicine; and
2. More than ten (10) hours shall not be in related areas such as practice management.
(2) A veterinary technician and veterinary technologist shall annually complete six (6) hours of continuing education to be eligible for renewal of his or her registration. A veterinary technician and veterinary technologist may complete the six (6) hours of continuing education required for renewal by the completion of audio or video recordings or electronic, computer, or interactive materials or programs prepared or approved by any of the organizations established in Section 2(1) and (2) of this administrative regulation.
(3) Continuing education shall be earned from October 1 of each renewal period until September 30 at the end of the period.
(4) A veterinarian applying for renewal after completing his or her initial term of licensure after graduating from a veterinary college may complete fewer hours of continuing education to be eligible for renewal as established in this subsection.
(a) A veterinarian completing his or her initial term of licensure who graduated from a veterinary college during the first year of the preceding biennium shall complete fifteen (15) hours of continuing education to be eligible for renewal. This paragraph shall not apply to applicants for licensure by endorsement under KRS 321.221.
(b) Continuing education requirements shall be waived for a veterinarian completing his or her initial term of licensure who graduated during the second year of the preceding biennium. This paragraph shall not apply to applicants for licensure by endorsement under KRS 321.221.
Section 2. Approved Courses. (1) The following programs shall be approved:
(a) All scientific programs of all organizations of the American Veterinary Medical Association, its constituent organizations, and its recognized specialty groups and accredited veterinary medical institutions whose meetings impart educational material directly relating to veterinary medicine;
(b) Programs approved by the Registry of Approved Continuing Education (RACE) of the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB); and
(c) All programs approved by the board pursuant to subsection (2) of this section, not associated with RACE or the American Veterinary Medical Association and its suborganizations.
(2) Courses established in subsection (1) of this section shall impart knowledge directly relating to the practice of veterinary medicine, including the utilization and application of new techniques, scientific and clinical advances, and the achievement of research to assure expansive and comprehensive care to the public.
Section 3. (1) A licensee and a registrant shall:
(a) Secure documentation of attendance at a course; and
(b) Annually, list on Licensed Veterinarian Annual Renewal Form or Veterinary Technician Annual Renewal Form, as appropriate, each course he or she attended.
(2) The board may require documentation of attendance at continuing education courses to be submitted to it.
Section 4. (1) The board may, in individual cases involving medical disability or illness, grant waivers of the continuing education requirements or extensions of time within which to fulfill the same or make the required reports.
(a) A written request for medical disability or illness waiver or extension of time shall be:
1. Submitted by the licensee and registrant; and
2. Accompanied by a verifying document signed by a licensed physician.
(b) A waiver of the minimum continuing education requirements or an extension of time within which to fulfill the requirements shall not be granted by the board for a period of time exceeding one (1) calendar year.
(c) If the medical disability or illness upon which a waiver or extension has been granted continues beyond the period of the waiver or extension, the licensee or registrant shall reapply for another extension.
(2) The board shall grant a waiver to a licensee who is unable to meet the continuing education requirements of this administrative regulation because of obligations arising from military duty.
(a) A licensee engaged in active military duty and deployed outside the United States for more than eight (8) months shall not be required to have completed the continuing education requirement for licensure periods during which that status exists.
(b) A licensee who is called to active duty in the armed forces shall not be required to have completed the continuing education requirement for licensure periods during which that status exists.
(c) The licensee requesting an extension or waiver pursuant to this subsection shall submit the appropriate military assignment form, deployment orders, or a statement from the licensee’s unit commander confirming the call-up or deployment.
Section 5. (1)(a) A license or registration that has been terminated shall be reinstated if a licensee or registrant submits proof that the licensee has completed the required number of continuing education hours within the twelve (12) month period immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted.
(b) The board shall permit the immediate reinstatement of a terminated license or registration if the licensee or registrant agrees to complete the required number of continuing education hours within six (6) months of the date of reinstatement.
(2) Prior to renewal of a license or registration for the licensure period following the licensure period during which the license or registration was reinstated, a reinstated licensee or registrant shall have completed the number of continuing education hours required for renewal of a license or registration by Section 1 of this administrative regulation.
Section 6. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
(a) "Licensed Veterinarian Biennial Renewal Form", November 2015; and
(b) "Veterinary Technician Annual Renewal Form", November 2015.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Kentucky Board of Veterinary Examiners, 911 Leawood Drive, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or by sending a request to the board at P.O. Box 1360, Frankfort, Kentucky 40602. (3 Ky.R. 337; eff. 11-3-1976; Am. 8 Ky.R. 1001; eff. 5-5-1982; 19 Ky.R. 1832; eff. 3-12-1993; 22 Ky.R. 936; 1302; eff. 1-8-1996; 30 Ky.R. 2098; 2288; eff. 5-24-2004; 31 Ky.R. 142; eff. 9-14-2004; 42 Ky.R. 1279; 2030; eff. 2-5-2016.)