GENERAL GOVERNMENT CABINET
Kentucky Board of Barbering
(As Amended at ARRS, May 13, 2014)
RELATES TO: KRS 317.410, 317.440
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 317.440
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 317.440(1)(e) requires the board to promulgate an administrative regulation to establish examination requirements. This administrative regulation establishes examination applications and sets forth scores for passing.
Section 1. (1)(a) The requirements in this administrative regulation shall apply to all examinations given by the board, unless stated otherwise.
(b) A probationary license shall be required to take the barber’s examination.
(c) A barber’s license shall be required to take the instructor’s examination.
(2) A student from a barber school shall not take any of the board’s examinations:
(a) Without proof of a high school diploma, transcript, or GED certificate; and
(b) Unless the application for examination has reached the board’s headquarters at least seven (7) days prior to the date of the examination.
(3) An applicant for a board examination shall
complete the appropriate application form, incorporated by reference in this
A][ No][ student
from a barber school shall not][ will be permitted to][ take
the board's examination if that student’s][ whose][ application
for examination has not reached the board's headquarters at least seven (7)
days prior to the date of the examination].
2. The board's examination shall[
will] be given only to students
(1) Have been notified to appear for the examination;
and who] Are wearing a clean,
washable uniform; and
and] Have instruments to
be used in the giving of their demonstrations.
Section 3. The board's examination shall include:
A written examination that covers[
is both written in] all subjects
set forth in the administrative regulations relating to barbers, 201
KAR Chapter 14; and
(2) A practical demonstration on a living model[
required as part of the examination].
4. An applicant shall pass each portion, practice and theory, of the
probationary examination with a seventy-five (75) percent passing grade on the
An average grade of seventy-five (75) percent in
theory and practice will be required as a passing grade on the board's
5. An applicant for an[
All applicants for] instructor's license shall[ must]
score[ make] a general average of eighty (80) percent
on the board's examination.
6. A student who works in a barber shop prior to passing the probationary[
examination given by the board shall[ will] not be
allowed to take the probationary examination until first:
(1) Paying a fine, as defined in KRS 317.590, in keeping with the seriousness of the violation and the facts of the case; and
(2) Meeting all the requirements of KRS Chapter
317 and 201 KAR Chapter 14[
be considered ineligible to take the examination].
7. The examination schedule shall be conspicuously displayed on a
bulletin board provided by the school[
A bulletin board shall][ must][ be
provided by a school and the examination schedule shall][ must][ be
conspicuously displayed thereon].
8. Written and oral tests shall[
must] be given at intervals by a
school to determine the status of the student.
Section 9. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
(a) “Probationary Barber’s Application for Examination,” 6/13;
(b) “Barber’s Application for Examination,” 6/13; and
(c) “Instructor’s Application for Examination,” 10/13.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Board of Barbering, 9114 Leesgate Road, Suite 6, Louisville, KY 40222, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
FRANCIS L. SIMPSON, Chair
APPROVED BY THE BOARD: January 13, 2014
FILED WITH LRC: January 14, 2014 at 8 a.m.
CONTACT PERSON: Francis L. Simpson, Board Chair, Kentucky Board of Barbering, 9114 Leesgate Road Suite 6, Louisville, Kentucky 40222, phone (502) 429-7148, fax (502) 429-7149.