RELATES TO: KRS 317.410, 317.440
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 317.440
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 317.440(1)(e) requires the board to promulgate an administrative regulation to establish examination requirements. This administrative regulation establishes examination applications and sets forth scores for passing.
Section 1. (1)(a) The requirements in this administrative regulation shall apply to all examinations given by the board, unless stated otherwise.
(b) A probationary license shall be required to take the barber’s examination.
(c) A barber’s license shall be required to take the instructor’s examination.
(2) A student from a barber school shall not take any of the board’s examinations:
(a) Without proof of a high school diploma, transcript, or GED certificate; and
(b) Unless the application for examination has reached the board’s headquarters at least seven (7) days prior to the date of the examination.
(3) An applicant for a board examination shall complete the appropriate application form, incorporated by reference in this administrative regulation.
Section 2. The board's examination shall be given only to students who:
(1) Have been notified to appear for the examination;
(2) Are wearing a clean, washable uniform; and
(3) Have instruments to be used in the giving of their demonstrations.
Section 3. The board's examination shall include:
(1) A written examination that covers all subjects set forth in the administrative regulations relating to barbers, 201 KAR Chapter 14; and
(2) A practical demonstration on a living model.
Section 4. An applicant shall pass each portion, practice and theory, of the probationary examination with a seventy-five (75) percent passing grade on the board’s examination.
Section 5. An applicant for an instructor's license shall score a general average of eighty (80) percent on the board's examination.
Section 6. A student who works in a barber shop prior to passing the probationary examination given by the board shall not be allowed to take the probationary examination until first:
(1) Paying a fine, as defined in KRS 317.590, in keeping with the seriousness of the violation and the facts of the case; and
(2) Meeting all the requirements of KRS Chapter 317 and 201 KAR Chapter 14.
Section 7. The examination schedule shall be conspicuously displayed on a bulletin board provided by the school.
Section 8. Written and oral tests shall be given at intervals by a school to determine the status of the student.
Section 9. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
(a) “Probationary Barber’s Application for Examination,” 6/13;
(b) “Barber’s Application for Examination,” 6/13; and
(c) “Instructor’s Application for Examination,” 10/13.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Board of Barbering, 9114 Leesgate Road, Suite 6, Louisville, KY 40222, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (KBB:Sch:Exam-1; 1 Ky.R. 729; eff. 5-14-1975; Am. 3 Ky.R. 324; eff. 11-3-1976; 10 Ky.R. 900; eff. 2-1-1984; 40 Ky.R. 1866; 2688; eff. 7-7-2014.)