RELATES TO: KRS 317.410, 317.440
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 317.430(1), 317.440(1), 317.450(1)(a)3, (2)(c)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 317.430(1) requires the Kentucky Board of Barbering to regulate barber schools and the teaching of barbering. KRS 317.440(1) requires the Kentucky Board of Barbering to promulgate administrative regulations governing applicants for barbering licenses. KRS 317.450(1)(a)3 requires the Kentucky Board of Barbering to ensure that a license to practice barbering shall be issued only if an applicant has acted as a licensed apprentice to a barber for at least nine (9) months, and KRS 317.450(2)(c) requires the Kentucky Board of Barbering to ensure that a licensed apprentice to a barber has graduated high school or possesses a General Educational Development (GED) certificate. This administrative regulation establishes requirements for barbering school enrollment and postgraduate coursework.
Section 1. Enrollment Application. (1) Each student applicant shall complete and submit to the barbering school an Enrollment Application for Barber School.
(2) Each student applicant shall also submit to the barbering school:
(a) A copy of the applicant's high school:
2. Diploma; or
3. Transcript; or
(b) A copy of the applicant's General Educational Development (GED) certificate.
(3) A prospective student shall not attend a barber school until the student has complied with subsections (1) and (2) of this section and the board has notified the school, pursuant to subsection (4)(c)2a of this section, that the board is in receipt of the completed and correct enrollment form and documentation.
(4)(a) The barbering school shall submit to the board the:
1. Student's enrollment application; and
2. Documentation required by subsection (2) of this section.
(b) The barbering school shall submit the material required by paragraph (a) of this subsection to the board by:
1. Scanning the application into an electronic format and emailing the application to the board;
3. Post; or
4. Hand delivery.
(c)1. Upon the first business day that the board receives from the barbering school the material required by paragraph (a) of this subsection, the board shall print, if the submission was in electronic format, and shall date stamp the material.
2.a. Within two (2) business days of receiving the documentation from the barbering school, the board shall contact the barbering school by phone, fax, or email to alert the school that the student is enrolled and may begin attending.
b. The board shall follow up with an official letter, sent to the barbering school and the student applicant, which shall state the student's official enrollment eligibility date.
Section 2. Postgraduate Requirements. (1) A barbering school shall enroll a student who requests postgraduate coursework if the student has complied with:
(a) Section 1 of this administrative regulation;
(b) 201 KAR Chapter 14; and
(c) KRS Chapter 317.
(2) A barbering school shall not approve postgraduate course credits for less than 150 hours, except in accordance with 201 KAR 14:015 if the applicant has failed the licensing examination twice consecutively.
Section 3. A person who is an owner of a barber school or a person who can make policy for the school shall not be enrolled in that barber school as a student.
Section 4. Incorporation by Reference. (1) "Enrollment Application for Barber School", August 2009, is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Kentucky Board of Barbering, 9114 Leesgate Road, Suite 6, Louisville, Kentucky 40222, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30p.m. (KBB:Sch:Appl-1-1: 1 Ky.R. 728; Am. 1348; eff. 6-11-1975; 10 Ky.R. 899; eff. 2-1-1984; 36 Ky.R. 437; 779; eff. 11-6-2009; 39 Ky.R. 821; 1112; eff. 1-4-13.)