201 KAR 12:210. Requirements for continuing education; active and inactive license and temporary waiver of requirements.
RELATES TO: KRS 317A.050(8), (9), 317B.030(1)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 317A.050(8), 317B.030(1)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 317A.050(8) requires a cosmetologist, cosmetology instructor, or nail technician to provide proof of continuing education for renewal of license as determined by the board by promulgation of an administrative regulation. KRS 317B.030(1) requires an esthetician and esthetic instructor to provide proof of continuing education for renewal of a license as determined by the board by promulgation of an administrative regulation. This administrative regulation establishes requirements for continuing education for a licensee with an active or inactive license and for a temporary waiver of the requirements.
Section 1. Definition. "Continuing education hour" means a fifty (50) minute period excluding each meal or break.
Section 2. A person newly licensed during the license renewal period shall not be required to complete continuing education as a prerequisite for the first renewal of his license.
Section 3. Continuing education hours exceeding the amount required shall not be carried forward to the next years' requirements.
Section 4. A licensee shall not receive credit for a class repeated within the same licensing year.
Section 5. Inactive Status. (1) A licensee not working in a beauty salon, nail salon, esthetic salon, school of cosmetology or actively engaged in the practice or teaching of cosmetology may request inactive status. The request for inactive status shall be in writing.
(2) Inactive status shall be granted if the licensee pays the renewal fee established in KRS 317A.050(9) for a cosmetologist, nail technician, or cosmetology instructor and the renewal fee required by 201 KAR 12:220 for an esthetician or esthetics instructor.
(3) Inactive status may be applied for, in writing, during the licensure year if the licensee holds a license which is not expired, revoked or suspended.
(4) A licensee requesting inactive status shall not be required to attend continuing education courses.
(5) A licensee on inactive status shall not engage in the practice of cosmetology, nail technology, esthetics or teaching of cosmetology or esthetics.
(6) The inactive license shall be renewed in accordance with the requirements established in KRS 317A.050(8) and 317B.030.
(7) Before a license is changed from inactive to active status, the licensee shall provide proof that, within the one (1) year period immediately preceding the request to change the status, the licensee has completed:
(a) Six (6) hours of continuing education as required by KRS 317A.050(8), if the licensee is a cosmetologist or nail technician;
(b) Eight (8) hours of continuing education as required by KRS 317A.050(8), if the licensee is a cosmetology instructor;
(c) Six (6) hours of continuing education as required by KRS 317B.030(1)(a), if the licensee is an esthetician or dual esthetician/cosmetologist.
(d) Eight (8) hours of continuing education as required by KRS 317B.030(1)(b), if the licensee is an esthetic instructor or dual esthetic/cosmetology instructor.
(8) A licensee actively engaged in the practice of cosmetology, nail technology, esthetics, instructor of esthetics or instructor of cosmetology who cannot meet the requirements for continuing education for renewal due to temporary disability, undue hardship, or personal or spouse’s military duty, may request a wavier or extension of time to complete a continuing education course. A request for waiver shall be submitted, in writing, and include a detailed statement describing the reasons for the request. A waiver may be granted by the board not to exceed one (1) year. If the circumstance of the waiver exceeds one (1) year, the licensee shall reapply, in writing, for an extension of the waiver. (24 Ky.R. 1423; Am. 1654; eff. 2-26-1998; 30 Ky.R. 975; 1923; 2-16-2004.)