201 KAR 12:100. Sanitation standards.
RELATES TO: KRS 317A.060, 317B.020(3)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 317A.130, 317B.020(3)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 317A.060 and 317B.020(3) authorize the Kentucky State Board of Hairdressers and Cosmetologists to regulate the practice of cosmetology, nail technology and esthetics in Kentucky and establish uniform standards for sanitation. This administrative regulation establishes sanitation standards for all facilities.
Section 1. (1) All establishments, and all furniture, equipment, utensils, floors, walls, ceilings, restrooms and lavatories used in those establishments, shall be kept in a clean and sanitary condition.
(2) Clean towels or linens shall be provided for use of the patrons.
(3) The use in common of towels or linens of any type shall be prohibited.
Section 2. (1) Each student, apprentice cosmetologist, and cosmetologist shall have a sufficient number of combs and brushes at their disposal.
(2) Combs and brushes shall be sterilized after each use.
(3) A comb or brush shall not be used in common on any patron.
(4) Any article dropped on the floor shall be disinfected before being used again.
Section 3. All water supply and waste connections shall be constructed in conformity with the city, county, and state plumbing statutes, administrative regulations and code.
Section 4. A sufficient number of covered waste receptacles shall be provided in every establishment for disposal of trash and other waste.
Section 5. (1) A protective covering shall be placed around the patron's neck so the cape does not come into contact with the skin.
(2) The protective covering shall be discarded after each use.
Section 6. The Cabinet for Health Services Department for Public Health, has approved the following methods of disinfection.
(1) Dry disinfection. The use of Formalin, ultraviolet rays, or any other dry disinfectant approved by the Cabinet for Health Services and EPA are considered acceptable methods of dry disinfection provided labels and manufacturer's directions are followed.
(2) Liquid disinfection.
(a) A ten (10) percent solution of Formalin shall be satisfactory for disinfection of all equipment. Formalin does not attack copper, nickel, zinc, or other metal substances.
(b) A seventy (70) percent solution of alcohol or bleach shall be an effective disinfectant for cleaning equipment.
(c) Any other liquid disinfectant approved by the Cabinet for Health Services shall be acceptable, provided labels and manufacturer's directions are followed.
Section 7. Implements shall be disinfected and sanitized as follows:
(1) Remove all debris, dirt and foreign material;
(2) Wash implement with soap in warm water;
(3) Immerse implement in liquid disinfectant according to manufacturers direction;
(4) Air dry; and
(5) Place implement in dry sanitizer or autoclave.
Section 8. Use of brush rollers shall be prohibited in any establishment licensed by this board.
Section 9. (1) The following grading shall be used for the inspection of any salon or school of cosmetology: 100 percent - 90 percent = A; 89 percent - 80 percent = B; 79 percent - 70 percent = C.
(2) Any standard of less than an "A" rating shall indicate failure to comply with the statutes and administrative regulations of the board. (KBHC:San-1; 1 Ky.R. 1399; Am. 2 Ky.R. 144; eff. 8-13-1975; 5 Ky.R. 806; 970; eff. 6-6-79; 16 Ky.R. 1609; eff. 4-12-90; 20 Ky.R. 1031; 1781; eff. 1-10-94; 30 Ky.R. 1332; 1917; eff. 2-16-2004.)