201 KAR 12:083. Educational requirements.
RELATES TO: KRS 317A.050, 317A.140, 317B.025(1)(c), (4)(c)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 317A.060, 317B.020(3)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 317A.060 and 317B.020 require the board to promulgate administrative regulations governing the operation of schools of cosmetology and esthetics, including the proper education and training of students. This administrative regulation establishes proof of education and other enrollment requirements.
Section 1. (1) Any person enrolling in a school of cosmetology for a cosmetology or nail technician course shall complete a "Student Enrollment Application for Kentucky Cosmetology School" provided by the board.
(2) The applicant shall furnish proof that he or she has completed two (2) years of high school or its equivalent.
(3) The required proof shall be any one (1) of the following:
(a) A transcript of subjects and grades showing the applicant has completed grade 10;
(b) Results from the Test for Adult Basic Education (TABE) indicating a score equivalent to tenth grade high school; or
(c) High school diploma or G.E.D. certificate.
Section 2. Any person enrolling in a school of cosmetology for the esthetics course shall complete the application for enrollment provided by the board. The applicant shall furnish proof that he or she has completed four (4) years of high school or its equivalent. The required proof shall be any one (1) of the following:
(1) A high school diploma;
(2) A G.E.D.; or
(3) Results from the Test for Adult Basic Education (TABE) indicating a score equivalent to 12th grade high school.
Section 3. (1) The student enrollment application, accompanied by the applicant's proof of education, shall be received by the board no later than ten (10) working days after the student date of enrollment.
(2) A student shall not receive credit hours if the application is not received within the ten (10) day period.
(3) The school shall forward to the board the enrollment application and proof of education so that the board receives the information no later than ten (10) working days after the student date of enrollment.
(4) Failure of the school to timely forward the information to the board may result in suspension or revocation of the school's license or a fine of twenty-five (25) dollars a day for every day the application is late.
Section 4. (1) A person shall not be permitted to enroll in a school of cosmetology for a brush-up course unless:
(a) The applicant holds a current license issued by this board; or
(b) The applicant has obtained special permission from the board.
(2) The applicant shall complete the application for enrollment.
Section 5. Incorporation by Reference. (1) "Student Enrollment Application for Kentucky Cosmetology School", 2003, is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at Kentucky State Board of Hairdressers and Cosmetologists, 111 St. James Court, Suite A, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (3 Ky.R. 418; eff. 12-1-1976; Am. 7 Ky.R. 486; 643; eff. 2-4-81; 9 Ky.R. 932; eff. 3-2-83; 16 Ky.R. 1607; eff. 4-12-90; 30 Ky.R. 965; 1567; 1913; eff. 2-16-2004 37 Ky.R. 2282; 2829; eff. 7-1-11.)