RELATES TO: KRS 317A.050, 317A.060, 317B.025
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 317A.060, 317B.025
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 317A.060 and 317B.020 require the board to promulgate administrative regulations governing the operation of any salons of cosmetology, nail technology, and esthetics. This administrative regulation establishes requirements for beauty salons, nail salons, and esthetic salons which are new, relocating, or changing owners, and the separation of salons from barber shops.
Section 1. A beauty salon, nail salon, or esthetic salon which is new or relocating shall:
(1) Complete a "New Salon Application" furnished by the board; and
(2) Indicate the type of salon on the application.
Section 2. Five (5) days before opening for business, a beauty salon, nail salon, or esthetic salon which is new, relocating, or changing owners shall notify the board of the new location, date on which the salon is to be opened for business, and name of the owner and manager of the salon.
Section 3.(1) A beauty salon, nail salon, or esthetic salon which is new or relocating shall be inspected by an inspector employed by the board before issuance of license.
(2) A salon shall not open for business prior to issuance of a salon license.
Section 4. A beauty salon, nail salon, or esthetic salon which is new or relocating shall comply with all city, county, and state zoning, building, and plumbing laws, administrative regulations, and codes.
Section 5. (1) Except as provided by subsection (2) of this section, a beauty salon, nail salon, or esthetic salon shall be separated from all barber shops by a solid partition extending to the ceiling and each facility shall have its own individual entrance.
(2) The provisions of subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to a nursing home if:
(a) It has obtained a salon license from the board; and
(b) The practice of barbering does not occur at the same time as the practice of cosmetology.
(3) If the provisions of subsection (2) of this section have been met, a cosmetologist may engage in the practice of cosmetology on the premises of a nursing home in the same facility established by the nursing home for the practice of barbering.
Section 6. Any salon located in a residence shall have its own outside entrance separate from that of the residence.
Section 7. Any change to a license, including the addition or deletion of an owner or manager, shall require a new application to be filed.
Section 8. Incorporation by Reference. (1) “New Salon Application”, 11/2012, is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at Kentucky State Board of Hairdressers and Cosmetologists, 111 St. James Court, Suite A, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (KBHC: Inspect.-2-2; 1 Ky.R. 1399; Am. 2 Ky.R. 144; eff. 8-13-1975; 6 Ky.R. 416; eff. 4-1-80; 15 Ky.R. 1676; eff. 3-10-89; 16 Ky.R. 1604; eff. 4-12-90; 20 Ky.R. 1029; 1781; eff. 1-10-94; 30 Ky.R. 960; 1909; eff. 2-16-2004; 40 Ky.R. 373; 1086; eff.12-6-2013.)