201 KAR 12:020. Examination.
RELATES TO: KRS 317A.010, 317A.020, 317A.050, 317A.100, 317B.025
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 317A.050, 317A.060, 317B.020
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 317A.060 and 317B.020 require the board to promulgate administrative regulations regarding examinations of applicants for licenses in cosmetology, nail technology, and esthetics. This administration regulation establishes the procedure and qualifications for these examinations.
Section 1. (1) A graduate of any school of cosmetology licensed by this board shall not be accepted for apprentice examination who has not registered with the board at least ten (10) months and two (2) weeks prior to the examination.
(2) A graduate nail technician shall not be accepted for examination who has not registered with the board at least seventy-five (75) days prior to examination.
(3) A graduate esthetician shall not be accepted for examination who has not registered with the board at least six (6) months and two (2) weeks prior to examination.
Section 2. An applicant for licensure who completed hours in another state shall submit a certification from the state board of the state in which the hours were obtained.
Section 3. A student, apprentice cosmetologist, nail technician, or esthetician shall not be permitted to take the board's examination whose application completed in full has not reached the office of the board at least ten (10) working days prior to the beginning date of examination.
Section 4. (1) The board's examination shall be given only to an applicant who has been notified to appear for the examination and who is wearing a clean, washable uniform, and who has with him or her instruments and all supplies needed to be used in the giving of practical examination.
(2) A uniform shall be considered a lab jacket or smock over clothing.
(3) Bibs or aprons shall not be allowed.
Section 5. The examination shall consist of both a written test and practical demonstration in subjects from the curriculum as specified in 201 KAR 12:082 and 201 KAR 12:088. The practical demonstration shall be performed on a mannequin head and hand for the cosmetology practical examination, mannequin head for the esthetician practical examination and a mannequin hand for the nail technician practical examination provided by the applicant.
Section 6. (1) An average grade of seventy (70) percent in theory and practical shall be required as a passing grade on the board's apprentice cosmetologist nail technician and esthetician examination. A license shall not be issued to an applicant, not including instructors, with a grade below seventy (70) percent in any one subject. An applicant shall submit to reexamination on subjects not successfully completed.
(2) An instructor's license shall not be issued to any applicant receiving a grade below eighty (80) percent on written and eighty-five (85) percent on practical. An applicant shall submit to reexamination on subjects not successfully completed.
Section 7. A student who practices cosmetology, nail technology or esthetics in a beauty salon prior to the examination given by the board may be considered ineligible to take the examination pending hearing before the board.
Section 8. A bulletin board shall be provided by a school and the examination schedule shall be conspicuously displayed thereon at all times.
Section 9. An applicant successfully completing the state board examinations shall buy his or her license within thirty (30) days following the examination. Failure to purchase the license shall require the paying of the appropriate restoration fee as required by 201 KAR 12:260 and appropriate restoration fee as required by 201 KAR 12:220(4) for an esthetics license.
Section 10. The fee accompanying an application shall not be refunded unless the application is rejected by the board.
Section 11. Any applicant who fails the state board examinations may be rescheduled for examination during any examination period if all qualifications are met.
Section 12. (1) Except as provided by subsections (2) or (3) of this section, any applicant that fails to report for examination on the date in which the applicant was notified shall submit an examination application and pay the examination fee as required by 201 KAR 12:260 prior to being rescheduled for examination.
(2) The board shall waive the examination fee under the following circumstances:
(a) Illness or medical condition of the applicant that prohibits the applicant from reporting to the examination;
(b) Death, illness, or medical condition in the applicant's immediate family that prohibits the applicant from reporting to the examination;
(c) Car trouble or interstate closure on the way to the examination site that prohibits the applicant from arriving at the scheduled time; or
(d) For not more than two (2) consecutive examination periods, the applicant contacts the office of the board not later than two (2) business days prior to the scheduled examination.
(3) The board may waive the examination fee for other reasonable circumstances beyond the applicant's control.
Section 13. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
(a) "Apprentice Cosmetologist Application for Examination", June 30, 3006;
(b) "Manicurist/Nail Technician Application for Examination", June 30, 2006; and
(c) "Esthetician Application for Examination", June 30, 2006.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at Kentucky State Board of Hairdressers and Cosmetologists, 111 St. James Court, Suite A, Frankfort, Kentucky, 40601, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (KBHC:Sch:Exam. 1-2; 1 Ky.R. 720; eff. 5-14-75; Am. 5 Ky.R. 542; eff. 3-7-79; 7 Ky.R. 481; 639; eff. 2-4-81; 11 Ky.R. 1438; eff. 5-14-85; 16 Ky.R. 1599; eff. 4-12-90; 30 Ky.R. 953; 1905; eff. 2-16-2004; 32 Ky.R. 2066; 33 Ky.R. 381; eff. 9-1-06.)