201 KAR 2:045. Technicians.
RELATES TO: KRS 315.010(18), (25), 315.020(4)(b), 315.191(1)(a), (g), (l)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 315.010(18), (25), 315.020(4)(b), 315.191(1)(a), (g), (l)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 315.191(1)(a) authorizes the board to promulgate administrative regulations governing pharmacy technicians. KRS 315.010(18) authorizes the board to permit a pharmacy technician to work under the general supervision of a pharmacist. KRS 315.191(1)(l) authorizes the board to promulgate administrative regulations establishing the qualifications a pharmacy technician is required to obtain prior to practicing under the general supervision of a pharmacist. This administrative regulation establishes the qualifications required for a pharmacy technician to practice under the general supervision of a pharmacist, and establishes the scope of practice for a pharmacy technician.
Section 1. A person shall be recognized by the board as a certified pharmacy technician, if:
(1)(a) He has successfully completed the National Certification Examination administered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board or the Institute for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians (ICPT); and
(b) The certificate issued by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board or the ICPT is current; or
(2) He has successfully completed the Nuclear Pharmacy Technician Training Program at the University of Tennessee.
Section 2. A certified pharmacy technician, subject to the supervision, as defined by KRS 315.010(25), of a pharmacist may perform the following functions:
(1) Certify for delivery unit dose mobile transport systems that have been refilled by another technician;
(2) Within a nuclear pharmacy, receive diagnostic orders; and
(3)(a) Initiate or receive a telephonic communication from a practitioner or practitioner's agent concerning refill authorization, after he clearly identifies himself as a certified pharmacy technician;
(b) If a practitioner or practitioner's agent communicates information that does not relate to the refill authorization:
1. A technician shall immediately inform the pharmacist; and
2. The pharmacist shall receive the communication.
Section 3. (1) A technician who has not been certified by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board or the ICPT may perform the functions specified by Section 2 of this administrative regulation under the immediate supervision of a pharmacist.
(2) A function performed by a certified pharmacy technician or pharmacy technician shall be performed subject to the review of the pharmacist who directed the technician to perform the function.
(3) A pharmacist who directs a certified pharmacy technician or pharmacy technician to perform a function shall be responsible for the technician and the performance of the function. (23 Ky.R. 3124; Am. 3806; 4108; eff. 6-16-97; 26 Ky.R. 1687; 2238; eff. 6-12-2000; 35 Ky.R. 2484; 36 Ky.R. 321; eff. 8-12-2009.)