201 KAR 2:015. Continuing education.
RELATES TO: KRS 214.610, 315.065, 315.116, 315.120
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 315.110(1), 315.191(1)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 315.065(2) and (3) require the board to establish continuing education requirements for pharmacists. This administrative regulation establishes requirements for the continuing pharmacy education of registered pharmacists and requires all registered pharmacists holding a license issued by the board to participate in continuing pharmacy education as a means of renewal of their licenses.
Section 1. Definition. "Continuing education unit" or "CEU" is defined by KRS 315.010(7).
Section 2. (1) Continuing education hours for credit may be compiled in the following areas if the sponsor grants the participant a certificate of completion:
(a) Cassette and audiovisual presentation;
(b) In-company professional seminars;
(c) Accredited school of pharmacy continuing education programs;
(d) Postgraduate courses in pharmaceutical sciences;
(e) Correspondence courses;
(f) Programs granted continuing education credit by other states;
(g) The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education;
(h) Continuing education television series;
(i) Programs sponsored by allied professional groups; or
(j) Professional society and association sponsored programs.
(2) The board approval of each program shall expire at the end of three (3) years.
Section 3. Continuing education sponsors shall be responsible for submitting to the board for final accreditation continuing education programs for participants.
(1) A sponsor shall be any person, school, association, company, corporation or group who wishes to develop a continuing education program.
(2) Programs shall be submitted to the board at least sixty (60) days prior to planned participation so the participants can know the value of the experience prior to actual participation.
(3) Program changes shall be made to and accredited by the board, or the evaluation and accreditation of the program shall be void.
(4) Continuing education credit shall be given only once for each program per participant.
(5) Sponsors shall retain a file of each participant's program completion for three (3) years.
Section 4. (1) Sponsors and pharmacists requesting approval of continuing pharmacy education shall submit Kentucky Board of Pharmacy Continuing Education Program Approval Form. Pharmacists shall keep valid records, receipts, and certifications of continuing pharmacy education programs completed for three (3) years, except the pharmacist shall keep a copy of his or her HIV/AIDS CE certificate for ten (10) years, and submit the certification to the board on request.
(2) Submission of a fraudulent statement or certificate concerning continuing pharmacy education shall subject the pharmacist to discipline as provided in KRS 315.121.
Section 5. (1) A pharmacist shall:
(a) Complete a minimum of one and five-tenths (1.5) CEU (fifteen (15) contact hours) annually between January 1 and December 31; and
(b) Not transfer or apply excess hours or units for future years.
(2) A pharmacist may be granted a deferral on a year-to-year basis at the discretion of the board for illness, incapacity, or other extenuating circumstances.
(3) A pharmacist first licensed by the board within twelve (12) months immediately preceding the annual renewal date shall be exempt from the continuing pharmacy education provisions.
Section 6. All pharmacists shall keep the board informed of their correct addresses.
Section 7. CEU may be transferred from another state to Kentucky if the transfer state recognizes Kentucky CEU.
Section 8. A licensee who failed to timely renew his license shall:
(1) Comply with the applicable provisions of KRS 315.120(2) or (3); and
(2) Complete fifteen (15) hours of continuing education for each year the applicant failed to renew his license, up to a maximum of seventy-five (75) hours.
Section 9. (1) At least once every ten (10) years, a pharmacist shall successfully complete a continuing education course of not less than one (1) contact hour (0.1 CEU) concerning HIV/AIDS that complies with KRS 214.610(1).
(2) The continuing education course shall be:
(a) Approved by the Cabinet for Health and Family Services HIV/AIDS Branch; or
(b) Conducted by a provider approved by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE).
Section 10. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The Kentucky Board of Pharmacy Continuing Education Program Approval Form, 2002, is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Kentucky Board of Pharmacy, 23 Millcreek Park, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601-0230, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (4 Ky.R. 218; eff. 1-4-78; Am. 11 Ky.R. 1612; eff. 6-4-85; 16 Ky.R. 791; eff. 1-12-90; 28 Ky.R. 1906; 2192; eff. 3-28-2002; 37 Ky.R. 2041; 2376; eff. 5-6-2011.)