201 KAR 1:050. License application.
RELATES TO: 2006 Ky. Acts ch. 33, KRS 325.261, 325.280, 325.330
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 325.240
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 325.261 establishes the standards for licensure as a certified public accountant. KRS 325.280 establishes the standards for licensure as a certified public accountant by reciprocity. KRS 325.330 establishes the process for issuing a license. This administrative regulation describes the procedure to obtain a license as a certified public accountant.
Section 1. (1) A person who has met the qualifications contained in KRS 325.261 shall submit the "Application for Initial License as a Kentucky Certified Public Accountant".
(2) With his or her application, the person shall include:
(a) A check or money order, which is nonrefundable, made payable to the "Kentucky State Board of Accountancy" for $100;
(b) The certificate of experience as described in 201 KAR 1:063;
(c) One (1) photograph taken within ninety (90) days preceding the application, the back of which shall contain the signature in ink of the applicant;
(d) A list of colleges and universities with graduation dates, degrees awarded, and the official transcript described in 201 KAR 1:190, unless it is already in possession of the board;
(e) An official transcript as described in 201 KAR 1:190 from an accredited college or university as described in 201 KAR 1:190 which verifies the candidate has satisfied the 150-hour requirement of KRS 325.261
(f) Proof of successful completion of the Uniform Certified Public Accountants Examination. If the applicant successfully completed the examination in Kentucky, no documentation is required. If the examination was successfully completed in another jurisdiction, the applicant shall have an "Authorization of Interstate Exchange of Information" submitted to the board on his or her behalf; and
(g) If the applicant is not a citizen of the United States:
1. Documentation from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, or its successor, to verify the person is legally residing in the United States; or
2. Documentation from the employer that verifies the person is an employee of a public accounting firm, company, or institution of postsecondary education located outside the United States, but also has an office or campus located in the United States.
Section 2. License by Reciprocity. (1) An applicant for a license by reciprocity shall submit or cause to have submitted:
(a) An "Application for License as a Kentucky Certified Public Accountant by Reciprocity";
(b) Payment of the fee and other documents required by Section 1(2) of this administrative regulation, except for an official transcript; and
(c) An "Authorization for Interstate Exchange of Information", form completed by the licensing jurisdiction where the applicant holds a valid and active license to practice.
(2) If the applicant cannot provide the certificate of experience as required in Section 1 of this administrative regulation; and:
(a) Is applying under the provisions of KRS 325.280(1)(c)1, the applicant shall have the licensing jurisdiction where he or she holds a valid and active license send certified copies of experience requirement documents from his or her license file; or
(b) Is applying under the provisions of KRS 325.280(1)(c)2, he or she shall submit or cause to have submitted one (1) of the following documents which clearly reflects that the applicant has practiced public accounting as a full-time profession for four (4) of the last ten (10) years:
1. Proof of public accounting errors and omissions insurance;
2. A letter from an attorney, client, or certified public accountant that has knowledge of the applicant's practice;
3. Copies of firm license applications; or
4. Copies of personal tax returns.
Section 3. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
(a) "Application for Initial License as a Kentucky Certified Public Accountant (2006)";
(b) "Application for Licenses as a Kentucky Certified Public Accountant by Reciprocity (2005)"; and
(c) "Authorization for Interstate Exchange of Information, (2005)".
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the State Board of Accountancy, 332 W. Broadway, Suite 310, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (SBA-2-E; 1 Ky.R. 1010; eff. 6-11-75; Am. 3 Ky.R. 441; eff. 1-5-75; 9 Ky.R. 594; eff. 12-1-82; 11 Ky.R. 1433; eff. 5-14-85; 18 Ky.R. 2975; eff. 6-7-92; 20 Ky.R. 3210; eff. 8-4-94; 27 Ky.R. 585; eff. 10-26-2000; 31 Ky.R. 1526; eff. 5-26-05; 32 Ky.R. 2062; 33 Ky.R. 380; eff. 9-1-06.)