32 KAR 2:060. Advisory opinions.
RELATES TO: KRS 121.135
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 121.120(1)(g)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 121.135 requires the Registry of Election Finance to issue advisory opinions concerning the application of campaign finance laws or administrative regulations promulgated by the registry pursuant to statutory authority. These provisions became effective July 14, 1992, and this administrative regulation is necessary to implement the process through which advisory opinions may be requested and issued.
Section 1. Requests for Advisory Opinions. (1) A person may request in writing an advisory opinion concerning the application of campaign finance statutes or administrative regulations with regard to a particular transaction. An authorized agent of the person requesting an advisory opinion may submit the advisory opinion request, but the agent shall disclose the identity of his principal.
(2) The written advisory opinion request shall describe a specific transaction or activity that the requesting person plans to undertake or is presently undertaking and intends to undertake in the future. Requests presenting a general question of interpretation, or posing a hypothetical situation, or regarding the activities of third parties, shall not be considered.
(3) Advisory opinion requests shall include a complete description of all facts relevant to the specific transaction or activity with respect to which the request is made.
(4) The office of general counsel shall review all requests for advisory opinions submitted to the registry. If the office of general counsel determines that a request is incomplete or otherwise fails to meet the criteria established in this section, it shall, within ten (10) calendar days of receipt of the request, notify the requesting person, of any deficiencies in the request.
(5) Advisory opinion requests shall be submitted to the Office of the General Counsel, Registry of Election Finance, 140 Walnut Street, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601.
(6) Upon receipt by the registry, each request which qualifies as an advisory opinion request (AOR) under this section shall be assigned an AOR number for reference purposes.
Section 2. Public Availability of Requests. (1) Advisory opinion requests which qualify under Section 1 of this administrative regulation shall be made public at the registry promptly upon receipt. A register shall be maintained by the registry containing a list of requests for advisory opinions and shall be updated on a regular basis. The register, copies of all requests for advisory opinions, supplemental materials, and copies of all opinions issued shall be available for public inspection at the Registry of Election Finance, 140 Walnut Street, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. local time.
Section 3. Written Comments on Request. (1) Any interested person may submit comments concerning requests for advisory opinions made public by the registry. All comments shall be in writing and shall refer to the AOR number of the request.
(2) Written comments shall be submitted not later than ten (10) calendar days following the date the request is made public by the registry. If the tenth day falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the ten (10) day period shall expire at the close of the business day next following.
(3) Additional time for submission of written comments may be granted upon written request for an extension by the person who wishes to submit comments or may be granted in the discretion of the Office of General Counsel without a request.
(4) Written comments and requests for additional time to comment shall be sent to the Office of General Counsel, Registry of Election Finance, 140 Walnut Street, Frankfort, Kentucky, 40601.
(5) Before issuing an advisory opinion, the registry shall accept and consider all written comments submitted within the ten (10) day comment period or any extension of the normal comment period.
Section 4. Issuance of Advisory Opinions. Advisory opinions shall be issued by the registry as provided in KRS 121.135(2).
Section 5. Reliance on Advisory Opinions. An advisory opinion issued by the registry may be relied upon only as provided in KRS 121.135(4).
Section 6. Advisory Opinion Subscription Service Available. Copies of all advisory opinions issued by the Registry of Election Finance shall be made available to interested parties through a per-page charge of ten (10) cents per page plus postage. Persons wishing to obtain a copy of an advisory opinion may contact the Registry of Election Finance, 140 Walnut Street, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, (502) 564-2226. (19 Ky.R. 1237; Am. 1528; eff. 1-4-93; 2485; 20 Ky.R. 50; eff. 7-12-93.)