16 KAR 9:020. Provisional certificate for college faculty.


      RELATES TO: KRS 161.020, 161.028, 161.030, 161.1211

      STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 161.028, 161.030

      NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 161.020, 161.028 and 161.030 require that teachers and other professional school personnel hold certificates of legal qualifications for their respective positions to be issued upon completion of programs of preparation prescribed and approved by the Education Professional Standards Board. This administrative regulation establishes the provisional certificate for college faculty and the requirements for obtaining and maintaining this certificate.


      Section 1. (1) The provisional certificate for college faculty shall be issued for a specific teaching or administrative assignment in a school district for a period not exceeding one (1) year to college faculty on recommendation of the:

      (a) Local school district superintendent; and

      (b) The head of the faculty member's unit at the institution of higher education at which the faculty member is employed.

      (2) Application for the provisional certificate for college faculty shall be made on Form TC-1.

      (3) Only regular, full-time faculty at a regionally- or nationally-accredited institution of higher education with at least one (1) year of teaching experience at the college level shall be eligible for this certification.

      (4) The faculty member shall hold either a:

      (a) Doctoral degree; or

      (b) Master's degree and documented expertise in the specific teaching or administrative assignment.

      (5) The building principal or other appropriate administrator in the local district in which the faculty member serves shall supervise and evaluate the certified faculty member.


      Section 2. The salary rank of the college faculty certified under this administrative regulation shall be determined in accordance with KRS 161.1211 at the rank corresponding to the degree held by the teacher.


      Section 3. (1) The provisional certificate for college faculty may be renewed upon recommendation of the local school superintendent and the appropriate college or university unit head for one (1) additional one (1) year period.

      (2) College faculty who desire to continue teaching in the P-12 schools beyond the two (2) year validity of the provisional certificate established in this administrative regulation may qualify for a professional certificate issued under KRS 161.048(4) and 16 KAR 9:030.


      Section 4. Teaching experience acquired while serving in a teaching assignment with a certificate issued under the provisions of this administrative regulation shall not be used to satisfy the beginning teacher testing and internship requirements.


      Section 5. Incorporation by Reference. (1) Form TC-1, revised 7/2001, is incorporated by reference.

      (2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Education Professional Standards Board, 100 Airport Road, 3rd Floor, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (15 Ky.R. 2465; Am. 16 Ky.R. 1944; eff. 3-8-90; 28 Ky.R. 1496; eff. 2-11-2002; recodified from 704 KAR 20:550, 7-2-2002.)