16 KAR 8:020. Planned Fifth-year Program.
RELATES TO: KRS 157.390(1)(a), (b), 161.020, 161.028(1)(a), (c), (k), 161.030(1), (2)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 161.028(1)(a), (c), (k), 161.030(1), (2)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 161.028(1)(a), (c), (k) and 161.030(1), (2) vests authority for the issuance and renewal of certification for all school personnel in the Education Professional Standards Board. This administrative regulation establishes the standards for the Fifth-year Program for certificate renewal.
Section 1. (1) The standards required for the renewal of a teaching certificate shall require completion of:
(a) The continuing education alternative plan as defined in 16 KAR 8:030; or
(b) Plan I or Plan II described in this administrative regulation and in keeping with one (1) or more of the following purposes:
1. To improve the professional competency for the position covered by the initial teaching certificate;
2. To extend the scope of professional competency to a certification area not covered by the initial certificate; or
3. To obtain preparation-certification required for professional advancement to a higher position.
(2) Upon application by the candidate, the teacher education institution shall verify the completion of the Fifth-year Program to the Division of Certification.
Section 2. (1) Plan I Fifth-year Program shall require the completion of a master's degree from a college or university which meets the standards established by the Education Professional Standards Board in KAR Title 16:
(a) In a professional education specialty for which certification is issued;
(b) In an academic subject for which teacher certification is issued; or
(c) In professional education with emphasis in an academic subject for which certification is issued.
(2) The master's degree shall be consistent with the experienced teacher standards established by the Education Professional Standards Board in 16 KAR 1:010 or with standards established by the Education Professional Standards Board in KAR Title 16 for a particular professional education specialty.
Section 3. Plan II Fifth-year Program shall require thirty-two (32) semester hours of graduate level coursework earned beyond the bachelor's degree and the four (4) year program of teacher preparation in accordance with the following guidelines:
(1) The Fifth-year Program shall be planned individually with each candidate by a teacher education institution approved for offering graduate programs of teacher preparation.
(2) The Fifth-year Program shall be a major component of the candidate's professional growth plan and shall be consistent with the experienced teacher standards established by the Education Professional Standards Board in 16 KAR 1:010 or with standards established by the Education Professional Standards Board in KAR Title 16 for a professional education specialty.
(3) The Fifth-year Program shall relate to the initial classroom teaching certificate or to an additional classroom teaching certificate.
(4) The grade point standing for the thirty-two (32) semester hour program shall not be less than is required at the planning institution for a teacher education graduate.
(5) Professional development in lieu of up to twelve (12) semester hours of the college credit shall be approved as part of Plan II Fifth-year Program if requested by the applicant using the following guidelines:
(a) Twenty-four (24) clock hours of professional development shall equal one (1) semester hour;
(b) The candidate shall seek and obtain prior approval of the institution for the professional development activities;
(c) The application for approval shall identify the specific professional development activities, and the action plan to achieve one (1) or more goals of the professional growth plan identified in subsection (2) of this section;
(d) Upon completion of the professional development activities, the candidate shall submit to the institution a report of the activities which shall include an evaluation of the experiences and a follow-up plan for implementing the professional development; and
(e) The institution shall keep a record of the professional development completed by each candidate for the Fifth-year Program.
Section 4. New Teacher Standards. An approved preparation program for initial certification to be completed at the master's degree level shall be consistent with the new teacher standards as established in 16 KAR 1:010. (21 Ky.R. 3100; eff. 8-3-95; Am. 24 Ky.R. 1944; 2369; eff. 5-18-98; 26 Ky.R. 437; 745; eff. 10-11-99; recodified from 704 KAR 20:021, 7-2-2002.)