16 KAR 8:010. Rank I classification.
RELATES TO: KRS 161.010, 161.020, 161.028, 161.030, 161.095, 161.1211
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 161.020, 161.028, 161.030, 161.095, 161.1211
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 161.020, 161.028, and 161.030 require that all professional school personnel hold a certificate of legal qualifications for their respective positions to be issued upon completion of programs of preparation prescribed by the Education Professional Standards Board. KRS 161.095 requires the Education Professional Standards Board to establish procedures for a teacher to maintain his certificate by successfully completing meaningful continuing education. KRS 161.1211 establishes certificate ranks and grants authority to the Education Professional Standards Board to issue rank classifications. This administrative regulation establishes the requirements for the Rank I classification and equivalent programs for the Rank I classification.
Section 1. The preparation program for a Rank I classification shall require the completion of the following:
(1) Completion of the requirements for a Rank II classification as established in 16 KAR 8:020; and
(2) The completion of one (1) of the plans described in this subsection:
(a) Plan I. Thirty (30) semester hours of approved graduate level credit or approved equivalent;
(b) Plan II. Sixty (60) semester hours of approved graduate level credit or approved equivalent including a master's degree;
(c) Plan III. National Board Certification issued by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards; or
(d) Plan IV. Equivalent continuing education with evidence of continuous progress as required by the continuing education option for certificate renewal and rank change established in 16 KAR 8:030.
Section 2. The Plan I and II equivalent preparation shall be approved by the Education Professional Standards Board on the basis of the following criteria:
(1) Approved equivalent credit shall be offered in the form of a teacher institute designed for the purpose of upgrading classroom teaching personnel in a teaching specialty;
(2) A teacher institute shall be offered by an institution that is approved by the Education Professional Standards Board for offering a Rank I program. A teacher education institution shall make application to the Education Professional Standards Board for the advanced approval of a teacher institute;
(3) Operation of a teacher institute shall meet the standards for accreditation of a teacher preparation program;
(4) Equivalency credit toward a Rank I classification shall be earned by professional personnel who have already attained a Rank II classification;
(5) Equivalency credit toward a Rank I classification shall be limited to a maximum of fifteen (15) semester hours of the requirements for Rank I. Equivalency credit shall be the amount of contact time required for graduate credit at the teacher education institution; and
(6) Approved equivalency credit shall be an integrated part of an individualized Rank I program as planned with a graduate curriculum adviser. Approved equivalency credit earned through an approved teacher institute may be applied for teacher certification purposes as established in 16 KAR 5:030.
Section 3. The appropriate official designated by the teacher education institution shall certify to the Education Professional Standards Board when the curriculum requirements have been completed for the Rank I program at the institution.
Section 4. Of the thirty (30) semester hour program, at least fifteen (15) semester hours shall be taken at the college making the recommendation. The remaining fifteen (15) semester hours credit shall be taken at:
(1) The same institution; or
(2) Upon approval of the college adviser, another institution. (SBE 42.855; 1 Ky.R. 493; eff. 3-12-75; Am. 7 Ky.R. 666; eff. 4-1-81; 12 Ky.R. 1642; 1839; eff. 6-10-86; 15 Ky.R. 555; eff. 10-7-88; 24 Ky.R. 1942; 2368; eff. 5-18-98; 25 Ky.R. 1711; 2151; eff. 3-1-99; 28 Ky.R. 2060; eff. 5-16-2002; recodified from 704 KAR 20:015, 7-2-2002.)