16 KAR 5:050. Master of arts in teaching.
RELATES TO: KRS 161.020, 161.028, 161.030
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 161.020, 161.028, 161.030
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 161.020, 161.028, and 161.030 require that teachers and other professional school personnel hold certificates of legal qualifications for their respective positions to be issued upon completion of programs of preparation prescribed by the Education Professional Standards Board. This administrative regulation establishes guidelines under which institutions may develop master's degree programs of preparation leading to a provisional teaching certification and a Rank II classification.
Section 1. Kentucky teacher education institutions may develop a master of arts in teaching (MAT) program of preparation leading to provisional certification for teaching established in 16 KAR 2:010 and a Rank II classification.
Section 2. Admission Requirements. Admission to the MAT Program of teacher preparation shall require the following:
(1) A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution; and
(2) Completion of the admission standards established in 16 KAR 5:020.
Section 3. Curriculum Requirements. (1) The MAT Program of teacher preparation shall meet the standards for program approval established in 16 KAR 5:010.
(2) The student teaching experience for the MAT Program shall satisfy the requirements established in 16 KAR 5:040.
Section 4. Exit Requirements. (1) The candidate admitted to the MAT Program shall complete the requirements established by the institution for the MAT.
(2) The certification for candidates who complete the MAT Program shall be issued in accordance with the testing and internship provisions of KRS 161.030, 16 KAR 7:010, and 16 KAR 7:010.
(3) The certification for candidates who complete the MAT Program shall be renewed in accordance with the provisions of KRS 161.030 and KAR Title 16.
Section 5. Evaluation. The MAT Program shall be evaluated as part of the educator preparation unit accreditation process established in 16 KAR 5:010. (16 Ky.R. 680; eff. 12-6-89; 28 Ky.R. 2072; 2343; eff. 5-16-2002; recodified from 704 KAR 20:560, 7-2-2002.)