RELATES TO: KRS 161.020, 161.028, 161.030, 161.048(7)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 161.028, 161.030
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 161.028(1)(b) requires the Educational Professional Standards Board to promulgate administrative regulations setting standards for approval of an educator preparation institution that offers a preparation program corresponding to a particular certificate. KRS 161.030(1) requires the board to promulgate administrative regulations establishing requirements for issuance of a certificate authorized under KRS 161.010 to 161.126. This administrative regulation establishes the standards for admission to an educator preparation program.
Section 1. Selection and Admission to Educator Preparation Programs. (1) In addition to appropriate National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education standards incorporated by reference in 16 KAR 5:010, each educator preparation institution shall develop minimum standards for admission to its initial certification educator preparation programs, including university-based alternative programs established pursuant to KRS 161.048(7) in accordance with this section.
(2) Beginning September 1, 2012, admission to an undergraduate initial certification educator preparation program shall require the following:
(a) 1. A cumulative grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale; or
2. A grade point average of 3.00 on a 4.0 scale on the last thirty (30) hours of credit completed; and
(b) Successful completion of the following pre-professional skills assessments of basic knowledge administered by the Educational Testing Service with the corresponding minimum score:
1. a." Pre-Professional Skills Test: Mathematics" (0730) -174; or
b. "Computerized Pre-Professional Skills Test: Mathematics" (5730) - 174;
2. a. "Pre-Professional Skills Test: Reading" (0710) – 176; or
b. "Computerized Pre-Professional Skills Test: Reading" (5710) – 176; and
3. a. "Pre-Professional Skills Test: Writing" (0720) – 174; or
b. "Computerized Pre-Professional Skills Test: Writing" (5720) – 174.
(3) Beginning September 1, 2012, admission to a graduate level initial certification educator preparation program, including an educator preparation program established pursuant to KRS 161.048(7), shall require the following:
(a) 1. A bachelor’s degree or advanced degree awarded by a regionally accredited college or university with a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale; or
2. A grade point average of 3.00 on a 4.0 scale on the last thirty (30) hours of credit completed, including undergraduate and graduate coursework; and
(b) 1. Successful completion of the pre-professional skills assessments in subsection (2)(b) of this section; or
2. Successful completion of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) administered by the Education Testing Service with the following corresponding scores on the corresponding sections:
a. (i) Verbal Reasoning taken prior to August 1, 2011 - 450; or
(ii) Verbal Reasoning taken after August 1, 2011 – 150;
b. (i) Quantitative Reasoning taken prior to August 1, 2011 – 490; or
(ii) Quantitative Reasoning taken after August 1, 2011 - 143; and
c. Analytical Writing - 4.0.
(4) Beginning September 1, 2012, each accredited educator preparation institution shall have a formal application procedure for admission to an initial teacher preparation program, which shall include the following:
(a) Documentation that the applicant demonstrates the following:
1. Critical thinking;
3. Creativity; and
(b) Evidence that the applicant has reviewed:
1. The Professional Code of Ethics for Kentucky School Certified Personnel established in 16 KAR 1:020; and
2. The character and fitness questionnaire contained in Section III of the TC-1 incorporated by reference in 16 KAR 2:010; and
(c) A method to allow the applicant to demonstrate that the applicant understands professional dispositions expected of professional educators.
(5) Undergraduate students shall not enroll in any educator preparation program courses restricted to admitted candidates.
(6) The educator preparation program shall maintain electronic records that document that all students admitted after September 1, 2012, meet the requirements subsection (2) of this section.
Section 2. Annual Report. (1) Each educator preparation unit shall submit an electronic report annually to the Education Professional Standards Board that includes the following program data on each candidate admitted to educator preparation programs:
(a) The candidate's Education Professional Standards Board Person Identifier;
(b) The candidate's Student School Identification number;
(c) The candidate's Social Security number;
(d) The candidate's full name;
(e) The candidate's birth date;
(f) The candidate’s reported ethnicity;
(g) The candidate’s reported gender;
(h) The candidate's email address;
(i) The candidate's present home mailing address;
(j) The candidate's permanent home mailing address;
(k) The candidate's phone number;
(l) The candidate's admission date;
(m) The candidate's total number of credit hours prior to admission to the institution's educator preparation program;
(n) The candidate’s total number of credit hours in educator preparation courses completed prior to admission to the institution’s educator preparation program;
(o) The candidate's grade point average at admission;
(p) The candidate’s current program enrollment status;
(q) The candidate’s program completion date;
(r) The candidate’s grade point average at program completion;
(s) The candidate’s academic major at program completion; and
(t) The candidate’s academic minor or minors at program completion, if applicable.
(2) The report shall be submitted in the following manner:
(a) The institution shall electronically submit all data identified in subsection (1) to the Education Professional Standards Board; and
(b) By September 15 of each year, each institution shall provide written confirmation by electronic mail to the Director of the Division of Educator Preparation that all required information has been entered.
(3) The preparation program shall exit any candidate who has not been enrolled in at least one (1) course required for program completion within the last eighteen (18) months.
(4) Failure to submit the annual report in accordance with this section may result in action against the program’s accreditation status pursuant to 16 KAR 5:010, Section 21. (23 Ky.R. 2362; Am. 3354; eff. 3-6-97; 24 Ky.R. 1958; 2375; eff. 5-18-98; 25 Ky.R. 910; 1357; eff. 12-3-98; 28 Ky.R. 2076; 2346; eff. 5-16-2002; recodified as 704 KAR 20:700, 7-2-02; 35 Ky.R. 77; Am. 758; eff. 9-8-08; 38 Ky.R. 1169; eff. 4-6-12.)