16 KAR 4:060. Certificate renewals and successful teaching experience.
RELATES TO: KRS 161.020, 161.028, 161.030
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 161.028, 161.030
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 161.020, 161.028, and 161.030 require that a teacher and other professional school personnel hold a certificate of legal qualification for his or her respective position to be issued upon completion of a program of preparation prescribed by the Education Professional Standards Board. KRS 161.020 provides that the validity and terms for the renewal of a certificate shall be determined by the laws and administrative regulations in effect at the time the certificate was issued. This administrative regulation establishes certificate renewal provisions and the requirements for successful teaching experience for certificate issuance and renewal.
Section 1. Certificate Renewals. (1) If the renewal of a teaching certificate requires the completion of additional academic course work in lieu of teaching experience, the credits shall be selected from the Planned Fifth-Year Program.
(2) Except as provided in KRS 161.030(3), a teaching certificate shall be issued for a duration period of five (5) years, with provision for subsequent five (5) year renewals.
(3)(a) A certificate shall be renewed for subsequent five (5) year periods upon the completion of:
1. Three (3) years of successful teaching experience as established in Section 2 of this administrative regulation; or
2. At least six (6) semester hours of credit or the equivalent in professional development defined in 16 KAR 8:020.
(b) The requirements of this subsection shall apply to teachers who have completed the Fifth Year Program renewal requirements established in 16 KAR 8:020 and 16 KAR 2:010, Section 3.
(4) The renewal requirements shall be completed by September 1 of the year of expiration of the certificate.
(5)(a) Upon expiration, a regular certificate shall be extended for one (1) time for the one (1) year period immediately following the expiration date if:
1. An application for the extension is submitted using Form TC-2;
2. The certificate holder has completed at least one-third (1/3) of the renewal requirements; and
3. The extension is recommended by the employing school superintendent.
(b) If the requirements of paragraph (a) of this subsection are met, the remainder of the renewal requirements shall be completed within the one (1) year period of reinstatement.
(6)(a) Experience in the armed forces of the United States of America shall be accepted toward the renewal of a teaching certificate in lieu of required teaching experience as established in Section 2 of this administrative regulation, if the applicant held a valid certificate prior to entering military service.
(b) The validity period of a certificate held by a person at the time of entry into the armed forces of the United States of America shall be extended for the same period of time for which it was valid at the time of entry, beginning from the date of discharge.
(7) For a certificate requiring teaching experience for renewal, experience as a substitute teacher shall be accepted in lieu of required teaching experience as established in Section 2 of this administrative regulation if the holder of the certificate:
(a) Was employed officially by the local board of education;
(b) Was paid through the board of education; and
(c) Substituted in his certification area no less than thirty (30) teaching days per semester.
(8) Work experience at the Education Professional Standards Board, Kentucky Department of Education, or other state or federal educational agency with oversight for elementary and secondary education shall be accepted toward the renewal of a teaching certificate in lieu of teaching experience as established in Section 2 of this administrative regulation.
(9) Teaching experience at a regionally- or nationally-accredited institution of higher education in the academic subject area for which the teacher holds certification shall be accepted toward the renewal of a teaching certificate in lieu of teaching experience as established in Section 2 of this administrative regulation.
(10) Application for certification renewal shall be made on Form TC-2.
Section 2. Successful Teaching Experience for Certificate Issuance and Renewal. (1) Successful teaching experience shall be in a position directly corresponding to the type of teaching certificate for which the application is being made.
(2) A full year of experience shall include at least 140 teaching days of employment performed within the academic year.
(3) A half year of experience shall include at least seventy (70) teaching days of employment performed within an academic semester.
(4) The experience shall include employment on at least a half-time basis as defined in 16 KAR 7:010.
(5) The experience may include employment in either a public school or a regionally- or nationally-accredited nonpublic school.
(6) Experience as a home school teacher shall not be accepted as successful teaching experience.
(7) The superintendent of the employing district or chief school officer of the employing nonpublic school shall verify successful teaching experience on the certification application, Form TC-1, which is incorporated by reference in 16 KAR 2:010, for initial certification or Form TC-2 for certificate renewal.
Section 3. Incorporation by Reference. (1) “Form TC-2”, rev.10/03, is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Education Professional Standards Board, 100 Airport Road, 3rd Floor, Frankfort, Kentucky 40602, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (SBE 42.821, .825, .826, .882, .887; 1 Ky.R. 495; eff. 3-12-75; Am. 5 Ky.R. 602; eff. 3-7-79; 11 Ky.R. 628; eff. 11-13-84; 23 Ky.R. 3922; eff. 7-2-97; 24 Ky.R. 1947; 2372; eff. 5-18-98; 28 Ky.R. 248; 626; eff. 9-5-2001; recodified from 704 KAR 20:060, 7-2-2002; 38 Ky.R. 71; 481; 10-7-11.)