RELATES TO: KRS 161.020, 161.028(1)(a), (c), 161.030
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 161.028(1)(a), (c), 161.030
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 161.020 and 161.030 require that a teacher and other professional school personnel hold a certificate of legal qualification for their respective positions to be issued upon completion of a program of preparation prescribed by the Education Professional Standards Board. Pursuant to KRS 161.028, a teacher education institution is required to be approved for offering the preparation program corresponding to a particular certificate on the basis of standards and procedures established by the Education Professional Standards Board. This administrative regulation establishes a plan for recruiting certified classroom teachers into positions for teachers of engineering and technology.
Section 1. Definition. "Qualified teacher" means a teacher who holds certification as an engineering and technology teacher unless the superintendent of the employing school district has documented evidence that the teacher is unsuitable for appointment.
Section 2. Requirements for a Probationary Certificate for Teachers of Engineering and Technology. (1) If a qualified teacher is not available for the position of engineering and technology teacher as attested to by the local superintendent, the superintendent may request, by filing a Form CA-ET with the Education Professional Standards Board, that a one (1) year probationary certificate be issued as approved by the Office of Career and Technical Education to a teacher who:
(a) Holds a valid classroom teaching certificate for teaching in the middle school or secondary school;
(b)1. Has a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale; or
2. Has a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on the last sixty (60) hours of credit completed, including undergraduate and graduate coursework;
(c) Meets the minimum standards for admission to an educator education preparation program at an approved institution of higher education;
(d) Has enrolled in an educator preparation program approved pursuant to 16 KAR Chapter 5, for engineering and technology; and
(e) Documents 1,000 clock hours or six (6) months of full-time employment of work related experience or other exceptional life experience related to teaching engineering and technology.
(2) Upon completion of all requirements established in subsection (1) of this section, the candidate shall be issued a probationary certificate for teachers of engineering and technology, valid for one (1) year.
Section 3. Requirements for Renewal of a Probationary Certificate for Teachers of Engineering and Technology. (1) The first renewal of the probationary certificate for teachers of engineering and technology shall be for one (1) year, based upon:
(a) Evidence of employment by a participating district;
(b) Completion of eighteen (18) clock hours of orientation and management training provided through the technology education new teacher institute, within the first six (6) weeks of employment;
(c) Completion of at least six (6) semester hours toward the completion of the educator preparation program in which the applicant is enrolled; and
(d) Successful completion of the internship program required by KRS 161.030 and 16 KAR 7:010.
(2) The probationary certificate may be renewed a maximum of two (2) times and shall require at application, proof of the completion of at least six (6) hours of additional credit from the preapproved continuous curriculum plan.
(3) Upon successful completion of all requirements for an approved teacher preparation program, including successful completion of all required assessments established in 16 KAR 6:010, a professional certificate for engineering and technology shall be issued valid for five (5) years.
Section 4. Upon recommendation by the teacher education institution, teaching experience performed in a full-time position requiring certification for engineering and technology teachers shall be substituted for the student teaching requirement.
Section 5. Incorporation by Reference. (1) Form CA-ET, 08/15, is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Education Professional Standards Board, 100 Airport Road, 3rd Floor, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (23 Ky.R. 2356; eff. 1-9-1997; Am. 24 Ky.R. 1950; 2374; eff. 5-18-1998; 26 Ky.R. 1037; 1416; eff. 1-18-2000; 28 Ky.R. 2070; 2343; eff. 5-16-2002; recodified from 704 KAR 20:475; 7-2-2002; 33 Ky.R. 830; 1270; eff. 12-1-2006; Am. 37 Ky.R. 1317; 1622; eff. 2-4-2011; 42 Ky.R. 799; 1448; eff. 12-4-2015.)