RELATES TO: KRS 164.518, 164.740
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 164.518(3), 164.748(4)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 164.518(3) requires the authority to promulgate administrative regulations for administration of the Early Childhood Development Scholarship Program. This administrative regulation establishes definitions applicable to 11 KAR Chapter 16.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Academic term" means the fall, spring, or summer semester or its equivalence under a trimester or quarter system at a postsecondary education institution.
(2) "Authority" is defined in KRS 164.740(1).
(3) "Award year" means a period that begins July 1 of one (1) calendar year and ends June 30 of the next succeeding calendar year.
(4) "Capstone semester" means the culmination semester in an Interdisciplinary Early Childhood Education (IECE)/Early Childhood Program which:
(a) Requires additional hours of direct work with children; and
(b) May be listed as student teaching or a practicum.
(5) "Early childhood facility" means:
(a) A licensed Type I or a Type II child-care center defined in 922 KAR 2:110, Sections 1(14) and (15) that is located in Kentucky;
(b) A certified family child care home pursuant to KRS 199.8982 and 922 KAR 2:100 that is located in Kentucky;
(c) An organization approved by the Office of Inspector General of the Cabinet for Health and Family Services to offer training in early childhood development; or
(d) A developmentally appropriate preschool program defined in KRS 157.3175(2).
(6) "ECAC" means Early Childhood Advisory Council.
(7) "ECAC-approved early childhood development credential" means the Child Development Associate’s credential or a postsecondary, undergraduate degree, certificate or diploma that is:
(a) An associate degree in early childhood education or baccalaureate degree in interdisciplinary early childhood education, or a related program that is approved by the Early Childhood Advisory Council; or
(b) The Kentucky Early Childhood Development Director’s Certificate.
(8) "Eligible institution" is defined in KRS 164.740(4).
(9) "Participating early childhood facility" means an early childhood facility that agrees to provide monetary incentives pursuant to 11 KAR 16:060 to early childhood development scholarship recipients employed by the facility.
(10) "Participating educational institution" means an eligible institution located in Kentucky that:
(a) Actively participates in the federal Pell Grant Program;
(b) Offers a scholarship program curriculum;
(c) Has a contract in force with the authority relating to the administration of the Early Childhood Development Scholarship Program and other programs administered by the authority; and
(d)1. Is publicly operated; or
2.a. Is licensed by the Commonwealth of Kentucky;
b. Has operated for at least ten (10) years;
c. Offers a program of study not comprised solely of sectarian instruction; and
d. Admits as regular students only:
(i) High school graduates;
(ii) Recipients of a general equivalency diploma; or
(iii) Students transferring from another accredited degree granting institution.
(11) "Preschool associate teacher" means a classified employee who:
(a) Is employed by a local school district in a paraprofessional role to organize, manage, and provide direct instruction to children below primary school age under the supervision of a qualified professional; and
(b) Meets the requirements of 704 KAR 3:420.
(12) "Professional development counselor" means an individual with the responsibilities to recruit candidates, process the applications, and follow as indicated the procedures established in 11 KAR Chapter 16.
(13) "Professional development funds" means state or federal training funds available through the Head Start Program, a public preschool program, or the Kentucky Early Intervention System (First Steps Program).
(14) "Scholarship" means an Early Childhood Development Scholarship.
(15) "Scholarship program curriculum" means an academic course or series of courses that does not lead to a certificate, diploma, or degree in theology, divinity, or religious education offered by a participating educational institution needed to obtain an ECDA-approved early childhood development credential.
(16) "Teaching assistant" means an instructional aide in a public school preschool program as set forth in 704 KAR 3:410. (27 Ky.R. 1364; Am. 1821; eff. 2-5-2001; 28 Ky.R. 663; 1109; eff. 11-5-01; 31 Ky.R. 583; 926; eff. 11-8-04; 32 Ky.R. 1311; 1605; eff. 3-31-06; 34 Ky.R. 1771; 2079; eff. 4-4-08; 40 Ky.R. 88; eff. 9-9-2013; TAm eff. 4-27-2016.)